PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum-line 101

notacarpenter
04-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Can anyone direct me where to learn about the different terminology for constructing a gravity line? I have a slope that has about 25 taps that I have been collecting from 5 gallon buckets in the past. Most of the trees have been producing well, but the snow makes it a battle each time I had to collect. I think next year I would like to try a gravity line, but I don't know where to begin when it comes to determining the required gradient, main-line size, what vented or unvented means, or just what I would need for a basic gravity set-up.

Haynes Forest Products
04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Were to begin isn't always were you will end up:) OK liquid runs down hill so that is your goal so slope is good. 25 taps in a 1/2 line is fine. Now a quick lesson on gravity with natural vacuum. If you have ever siphoned gas you have a gravity plus vacuum system. If you vented the garden hose that you used to steal gas from your neighbor last spring you would have failed because you lost the vacuum that allows a siphon system to work:) Back to gravity systems as long as the taps are higher than the mainline and the tank the sap will flow down hill. Even some ups and downs along the way as long as they dint get higher than the taps will work..........BUT try not to get them. If your system is made up of enough taps on 1 line and the sap running down hill creates vacuum thats a good thing so you dint want to vent the system...A vent is a small hole allowing air to enter the system stopping the vacuum. Lets take a break and class will resume with others input:)