PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Tanks

Amber Gold
04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
I want to stack my two round bottom tanks on top of each other. If I do, I can just get them both under my shed roof. The 700 gallon galv. tank will be used for permeate and my new 1100 gal stainless tank will be for concentrate. I'd like to put the larger tank on top, so it'll be easier to clean. Both tanks will be your standard 4'Wx12'L maple round bottom tanks. I was going to lay some 2x lumber on top of the bottom tank, to provide some separation between the tanks and allow for some shifting. If I build a platform for the top tank to sit on, it either wouldn't fit under the roof or wouldn't provide me with any space to get access to the bottom tank to clean it.

Does anyone see why this wouldn't work?

Thanks

whalems
04-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Will the bottom tank support the weight of the upper tank? I have no experience with this but seems to be a lot of weight. just thinking out loud

Brent
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't think there's any way the tank maker build them to be stacked. I just got a 10' x 4' here holding 650 lbs. That's 4500 lbs. Yours is going to be a bit heavier. I'd build a serparate steel frame to support it independantly.

Better have a decent floor / base. Your concentrate will weigh in near 9000 lbs. and 4500 lbs on top of that.

gearpump
04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Why do you need a 1100 galon concentrate tank? A 300 gallon tank should be fine,and would be a heck of lot easyer to stack.

danno
04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Why do you need a 1100 galon concentrate tank? A 300 gallon tank should be fine,and would be a heck of lot easyer to stack.

I'm guessing Josh meant 1100 gal. SS sap tank to feed the RO? As long as they are seperatly framed, you should be OK. May be tough to clean the bottom tank? I framed for two 1000 gallon tanks side by side this year. Was a bit apprehensive because I'm not a builder and that's allot of weight, but had them both full many times and all was OK.

Maybe a shed addition in your future? I loved the sap tank and permeate tank side by side under a shed roof this year.

Amber Gold
04-21-2011, 06:57 AM
I should've clarified. The concentrate tank is actually a sap and recirc tank. Even at 600 taps, there were too many times where I had to hold sap in the truck tank while waiting for the RO to work on what's in the bulk tank. I'm planning on expanding, but even then the sap tank will only be full for short periods while the RO's working on it.

The base will be crushed gravel. They may not be made for it, but the frames look pretty rugged.

Danno, that's why I figure the perm. tank on bottom...it won't need to be cleaned every year and I should be able to reach through the frame of the top tank with a brush and hose to clean the bottom tank. If things keep progressing like they are, I'm planning on adding two wings to my sugar house, one wing for sap storage and an RO and the other side for sales and confection making.

ennismaple
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
If it was me I wouldn't take the chance. I'd build a support frame on posts to hold the upper tank. I can see the lower tank crushing at the contact points as the upper tank fills. Once the lower tank frame starts to yield to the stress it'll be like crushing a pop can.

Michael Stahl
04-22-2011, 06:42 AM
I blew a seam in 4x12 round bottom tank 4 years ago by not suppting it every 2 or 3 feet under the tank. Not easy to fix. I would use 4x4s front to back and support them from the ground. good luck. Mike

Amber Gold
04-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Mike, I like your idea and thought of something similar yesterday. I may have to notch out the rafters to get everything squeezed in there, but I think it'll work.

I hadn't thought about blowing a seam. I'm currently using what will be my perm. tank as my woods tank and it's only supported at the ends and middle on each side.

Thanks for the input.