PDA

View Full Version : How should I insulate my arch?

philkasza
04-16-2011, 03:08 PM
I have a 5x12 oil fire Lightning evaporater that I just bought and I had to take all the brick out to load it. So what should I do instead of puting all the brick back in? Advice is appreciated.

dougf3@verizon.net
04-16-2011, 06:11 PM
put ceramic blanket in there instead of brick

syruplover99
04-16-2011, 06:22 PM
:Dput eiether bricks or something that is related to bricks in there and that will do the trick but basically bricks are the best! good luck!!!:rolleyes:

Haynes Forest Products
04-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I made my arch for 3x10 with oil and used Ceramic blanket. I did the whole job in about 3 hours. I was able to do it in the garage and then transport 1300 mikes to the sap shack. BRICK YUCK. After 8 years it still looks new and I can also add or subtract to tweak the fire. I wouldn't do Brick its costly time consuming and with oil isn't necessary. As far as keeping the heat in the arch its the best.

Brent
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I re-did a new-to-me 2.5x8 this year and tried ceramic board that I got from Unifrax in Niagara Falls. I got 2" thick boards that I put everywhere and then just put in bricks in the lower 1/2 of the firebox to protect the board from logs. You can put you hand anywhere on the rig except right up a the rail. And the rails we're that hot either. Slopped syrup that landed on the gasket did not scorch. The only scorching was on the Inferno door top. All the sides could be wiped clean while boiling.

This is a very stiff board. Cuts with a hand saw. Looks brand new still after the first season.

I would absolutely do the same thing again if I had to.
I chose the Duraboard. Enough to do the 2.5 x 8 foot rig cost just under $ 1000. They have the prices on line. see www.unifrax.com (http://www.unifrax.com)

Haynes Forest Products
04-17-2011, 06:38 PM
My arch is very thin in the flue pan area and well insulated so I was thinking of adding some under arch drawers from a old water bed frame I had laying around I could use the storage space.