PDA

View Full Version : Local Tubing Expert?

Indiana-Jones
04-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Hello, I'm thinking about next years season and planning to add taps and expand a bit.

My big issue is that my woods is cut in half by a 60 ft deep ravine and the majority of the maples are of course, on the steep slopes.

I have been thinking that I would make a couple of dump stations on the far side, pipe them down to a tank and then pump the sap up the near side. Or maybe put some trees on tubing and see if gravity would do the job.

But, I would like to visit a couple of operations that use tubing to collect sap. I'm thinking that if not now, in a few years we will expand to that point.

Is there anyone here in central Indiana that may have some time to show me around their operation? OR Anyone care to come to Terre Haute and have a look at my situation?

Thanks in advance.

hoosier maple guru
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi! I am in northern indiana and would be glad to help you if i can. Im not sure if i can come down there but i would be glad to to talk. send me a p.m. if you would like to talk!

Thad Blaisdell
04-26-2011, 07:15 PM
How many taps are you talking. That may help anyone make some decisions.

Indiana-Jones
04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
We have 100 acres, mostly woods, 25 pasture. I'm thinking that the largest section of woods that surrounds my house has 250 taps. This is what I want to start out with first. These are woods trees, tall with not a lot of crown.. Last night I was walking around trying to solve the problem of where to put the sugar house and run the tubing, I think that I figured out what the lay out needs to be. The issue is that I'm just not sure how to get it done.

This is going to be my second year coming up and I'm still undecided on how deep I'm going to get into this hobby this year. I figure needing a shack, evaporator, tubes, taps, filter press and on and on. I could spend 10 to 15 grand and a lot of hours to make 50 gallons syrup. Someday I'm sure that this will happen. I'm thinking that I may move slowing over a few years.

I have started a 275 gallon oil tank arch project last week and been shopping for a 24x60 inch pan. I got a price of $1115.00 for a SS drop flue 2 pan reversible flow. I'm thinking that I need the pan before I get too deep in this project or risk have to redo the whole deal. I may make a mild steel divided pan myself, a big step up from last year.

Answer is 250 taps and hoosier maple guru, check your PM.

Thanks

Thad Blaisdell
04-27-2011, 02:48 PM
If all you have is 250 taps you dont need to worry about getting to fancy. Just do it with slope to the sugarhouse and call it good enough.

Indiana-Jones
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Trying to put a Google Earth pic on here. I may need help of a teenager.

4:30 quiting time I must go home now. I will work on this when I get home.

Thanks for the reply.

3rdgen.maple
04-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Its not going to matter how well you plan it out because in a few years your going to be unsatisfied and wish you did this that way and that this way. Im with Thad though stick the 250 on tubing and get it to come as close as possible to the sugarhouse and be done with that. Build the sugarhouse bigger than you think you need because you will always fill it up.

DougM
01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd suggest checking out Prairie Creek Park south of Terre Haute. We visited their camp as part of the Indiana Maple Syrup Association annual meeting a few years ago, and they had a tubing setup. I can't remember how many taps they had, but at least you could get an idea of what you might need.