PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Caps

maplematt
04-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi, I bought some syrup bottles and they came with plastic caps, like what you get on a soda bottle.
Is this an acceptable cap to use?
Are there better caps and can you buy just caps?

Thanks,
-Matt

3rdgen.maple
04-15-2011, 11:10 PM
My glass I order comes with the same style in the black plastic. Yes they are fine to use. The thing I cant figure out is how come they always put twice the amount of caps in the order with glass or plastic jugs. I have enough caps to last me years. Seems like a waste to me.

Haynes Forest Products
04-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Are they the ones that when removed you break the safety ring? Some states demand that type of safety cap. I don't like the plastic caps on plastic jugs,,,,,Yuck

maplematt
04-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Yes they are the safety ring style cap.
My order came with the exact number of caps.
Is there any trick to sealing them, or is it the same as a canning jar, just the cooling of the syrup?

syruplover99
04-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Yes they are the safety ring style cap.
My order came with the exact number of caps.
Is there any trick to sealing them, or is it the same as a canning jar, just the cooling of the syrup?

i think that it is the same basically as a canning jar...likke you said just the difference would be the cooling process:D

BryanEx
04-16-2011, 07:05 PM

The caps from my supplier are as you describe for both glass and plastic bottles. They actually have two liners inside the cap with the first being heat sensitive. Fill your bottles hot, screw on the cap tight, lay on it's side for 2~5 minutes, then stand upright to cool. When you open the bottle later on one liner is sealed to the bottle and the other remains in the cap for repeated opening.

maplematt
04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Half of the caps have no visible liner in them, the others have a blue plastic liner. They are all new, and all shipped with the bottles sold specifically as "syrup" bottles. I store my syrup in the freezer anyways, so we'll see what happens!