PDA

View Full Version : Final syrup point/ Rock Candy

maplematt
04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi, we are going to cook down to the syrup stage and filter/bottle this weekend.
My question is this: What is the highest temperature or density you can bring the syrup to before rock candy will form in the jars?
I know there is a certain point when it becomes syrup, but if I prefer slightly thicker syrup, is there any wiggle room in the temps? We are not selling this or trying to maximize our yield.
I would appreciate a temperature and density, since I'm not sure if I'm going to get a hydrometer this year or not.

Thanks,
-Matt

happy thoughts
04-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Without a hydrometer you can't determine density.

Syrup is reached at 7.1 F above the boiling point of water which can vary due to changes in the barometric pressure. If all you have is a thermometer make sure to test it for the boiling point of water each time you make your syrup. At syrup stage, syrup will sheet off a spoon instead of forming single drops. This is called aproning and is the guideline I use for my very small hydrometerless home production.

Crystals may form in dense syrup but crystallization is also a function of (storage) temperature so it's next to impossible to tell you exactly what density will or won't form crystals. I'd err on the side of thicker syrup. You can eat the crystals but too thin syrup is more likely to mold. You won't want to eat mold:)

Good luck!

BryanEx
04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
My question is this: What is the highest temperature or density you can bring the syrup to before rock candy will form in the jars?
You will experience crystallization above 67 Brix. In a perfect world that would be 7.5 degrees above the boiling point of water. I say perfect world because I've never been able to accurately use temperature alone to determine the exact sugar content.