PDA

View Full Version : Help no grading kit (didnt know I would have this much syrup)

LawnMowerMan
04-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Ok so I ended up with enough to sell to family and friends, (under the cottage food law) I did not know I would make so much this year, but my problem now is I have no grade kit, and most places are out of them, I also read somewhere that it is not mandatory in Michigan to grade maple syrup. So any help would be appreciated, I have some that is really light, and all the rest is somewhere from what i have seen in pictures, around grade A dark amber and grade B Anyone know where I can get a kit fast, or if I need to grade it at all?

Its more than a few jars...lol we went from 7 gallons last year to 32 gallons this year......so I need help or I will be drinking the stuff :lol:

whalems
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't think you have to grade syrup in michigan. But a may be wrong.

happy thoughts
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
If you're positive MI has no grading law then don't grade it. Seems to me that if there's no grading requirement then you'd be better off omitting grade info then misrepresenting a grade that may be defined under federal law.

Call or write your state ag department if you're not sure about the need to grade or if another MI syrup maker on this forum can't advise you. I'd make double sure sure it's labeled according to your state's cottage law which has some specific label requirements as I remember from the recent post about it on this forum. Here's a link to your state's cottge law label guideline...

http://michigan.gov/documents/mda/MDA_CFLblngGuide-MASTER_327559_7.pdf

xyz5150
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I would be more worried about getting paid from friends and family then grading it for them.:lol:

Harbor Maple
04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Call RMG Maple in Rudyard in the U.P.:

http://www.rmgmaple.com/ZenCart/

RMG is the second largest producer in the state. They run over 16,000 taps. They are also a large supply house. They might have it. In any case, they will tell you if you need it.

michiganfarmer2
04-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Paul williams at hide away sugar bush in Mesic has 2 on the shelf. 231-885-2900

LawnMowerMan
04-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys ,yea I found one! (on its way) and also got my answer on michigan law

Michigan does not have any grading laws. We actually fall under the USDA grading standards, but we are not required to "sell by grade". So you are okay to sell Michigan Maple Syrup without having it graded.

Thanks for the inquiry, hope I answered your question.

Larry Haigh
Pressident, Michigan Maple Syrup Association

Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
We don't grade, although we keep another state's grading kit on hand so we have a general idea. Most people have no idea what grade they want anyway, even A or B. I usually ask what they like about syrup and what they want to use it for. If they're traditional pancake people, I recommend syrup from a date when we produced lighter stuff. If they're more earthy or consider themselves a chef, I recommend darker.

I did have one person once ask for a medium amber cooked over a wood-fired evaporator. It blew me away!