PDA

View Full Version : sugarbush visit??? with tubing

stoweski
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone,

Looking to visit a couple of bushes around the Albany, Ny area to check out tubing ideas. I will be upgrading part of my woods to tubing next year and would like to visit a few places to see how it's done before I install mine.

I can read all I want in manuals/books and online but I'd like to see it in person and bounce some questions off sugarmakers before I start.

Anyone within 1/2 hour of Albany who'd be willing to take on a visitor? I should probably point out that I will only have 150 or less taps and no vacuum. All next week is open for me.

Thanks!
Keith

MilesTeg
04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm a little farther away but your welcome to stop in. I'm thinking about 2.5 hours from there maybe less its been a long time since I drove it. There are a couple of other guys about 10-15 mins around me you could probably look at too maple flats is one but you'd have to ask him. Hell I haven't even made it there yet to see it myself.

adk1
04-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Stoweski, you gonna be at the Leader Open house tomorrow?

bobbyjake
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Stoweski.... Just a suggestion, but offer up two man hours of your time for one of theirs. Looking at it is all well and good, but there are loads of tricks that won't be learned through that, like which tools are "essential" and which are just nice to have, how you unroll the tubing without a spinner and keep it from having all the coils still in it, etc.... If you find someone and you trade them - say two weekends of your time for one of theirs, you both benefit loads... Again, just a suggestion.

Brokermike
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
we're about 45 minutes away near Bennington VT. However we have a similar size setup-160 taps. PM if you want to stop by

stoweski
04-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the replies! Now the responses...

Miles, thanks for the offer. I sometimes drive to Skaneateles on 20 so I drive right through your town. I can let you know when I'm headed that way a few days ahead of time and see if you're going to be around. Thanks!

Adk, I'm not going to up to Swanton tomorrow but I do plan on going to Bascom's on the 30th. Would love to do both but have to choose.

Bobby - good idea. I've got plenty of time in the summer (in between golf :) )
I would definitely take someone up on it if they have done it before.

And finally, BrokerMike - know where you are quite well. My cousin lives there... Glastenview Dr - off of Daniels. Most of my family is in Hoosick Falls. I'll PM you soon.

Thanks again, everyone!

danno
04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Keith - I'm about 10 minutes north of Skaneatles, you're welcome to stop by if you're in town. There's a few sugarmakers in the neighborhood, including a 10,000 tap operation about 15 miles south of the village of Skan.

cropseyvillemark
04-16-2011, 07:19 AM
I am across the river in Brunswick. I would be happy to show you what I have done,what I want to do,what I would or wouldn't do again.