PDA

View Full Version : Safely Cutting a 275 Oil Tank

PapaSmiff
04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm considering using a 275 gallon oil tank for my "upgrade" evaporator. What does one do to safely cut into it? Fill it with sand -that's a lot of sand. Fill it with water? Is there a way to clean it first?

Brian
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
My boy works for an oil company and they go in basementss and cut them up with a sawz-all--After they drain all the oil out they can get.

Wardner in Tewksbury
04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I have cut up more than fifty 275 and 330 gallon domestic oil tanks. I use an oxy/propane cutting torch. Remove as much of the oil as you can. A little wet residue won't matter. Puddles will burn on their surface and create alot of smoke. Remove the pipe plugs. You want to avoid excessive smoke so that neighbors or travelers with cell phones don't call the fire dept. This all presupposes that only number 2 oil was formerly in tank. Do the cutting in an area outside where sparks won't ignite anything.

If no torch, use sawsall or abrasive wheel in skillsaw. Both are fire safe and can be done inside. Torching is easier and quicker than the other two methods. Set up angle-iron guides so that you get straight cuts.

PapaSmiff
04-14-2011, 11:14 AM
So vapors inside the tank are not a concern, when using a cutting torch?

mike z
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I have heard of people running a line from a vehicle's exhaust pipe to displace the oxygen in the tank. Oil has a low flash point, but if gas was ever stored in the tank:o:cry:

Wardner in Tewksbury
04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Duplicate deleted

Wardner in Tewksbury
04-14-2011, 03:53 PM
So vapors inside the tank are not a concern, when using a cutting torch?

I've never had one blow up or even rumble or dance. If you have a big puddle, there is a possibility that the oil will boil. That should be avoided as it will be smokey and generally unpleasant. A small fire the size of a football is usually common and I just let it burn while torching.

If you want to avoid the fire, drill a 1/2 hole and let it drain for a couple of weeks while making sure the sludge doesn't close the hole. The heat of the sun will vaporize the interior so that the interior is nearly oil free. The sludge is mostly water and iron oxide. That too will dry out if given enough time.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r16/Wardner/Icebank007.jpg

danno
04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
There is an old, argumentitive thread on this. It can be very dangerous. A sweet old guy who I knew from my automotive shop died last year in an explosion caused when cutting the lid off an oil barrel. I believe this can be done safely, but there are precautions that need to be taken.

Here's the story -
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/man_seriously_injured_in_explo.html

Wardner in Tewksbury
04-14-2011, 04:27 PM
A sweet old guy who I knew from my automotive shop died last year in an explosion caused when cutting the lid off an oil barrel.

There was no mention in the article of what was stored in the barrel. It is almost certain that it was some kind of undefined automotive waste.

Many years ago, I talked to the burner at a tank disposal outfit. This was Tombarello's Scrap Yard in Lawrence and only one of four in the state. He had cut up thousands of de-commissioned service station gas tanks.

The tanks were inspected upon entry into the yard and stored outside before cutting for several months. They never had an incident. Even so, I have no interest in cutting anything that formerly held a highly volatile fluid.

I no longer cut tanks. I did it to acquire no-cost fuel for my Diesels. I have enough for the next 20 years.

mike z
04-14-2011, 06:03 PM
What do you have stored in those half cut tanks? Looks like charcoal?

Wardner in Tewksbury
04-14-2011, 09:07 PM
What do you have stored in those half cut tanks? Looks like charcoal?
It is anthracite coal which is also no-cost. About 20 tons. I mined it out of coal bins in house cellars. Under the tarp is used no cost refrigeration oil in 275 gallon caged totes. I add it to the heating oil for my Diesels. All this free stuff was located using Craigslist. Apart from electricity and chain saw gas, I don't expect to have any energy costs for the rest of my life.

backyard sugaring
04-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I used a sawzall (1 Lenox blade)cut mine in less than a hour. The hardest part is cleaning out the bottom. Took my torch and lit it on fire in the middle of a snowstorm. It took a lot to ignite the crap, it burned for about a hour scraped it clean and started building my arch.

maple brew
04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
The easiest way to cut a fuel oil drum is to use a cutting torch but explosions are a concern. I have brazed gasoline tanks on tractors, cut fuel drums into pig roasters and I do it the same for all. First take a non O2 gas such as argon or nitrogen used as a shielding gas and put the hose in the tank. Run the gas with the regulator wide open for 5 to 10 minutes with only one opening on the tank at the highest point. At this point take a match and light, slowly lower into the tank the match should go out instantly the second it is lowered into the tank. You have now proven that there is no oxygen and a explosion is prevented. Use a torch but keep the gas flowing until a large opening is cut open to prevent accumelation flamable gases. Anyhow that is my personal preference and there has never been a issue thought you could smell gasoline or fuel oil