PDA

View Full Version : Free pan. Now what?

NH/Pete
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I've been using a hotel pan and a single propane burner for years.

This year I met Chris from Morning Star Farm in NH. What a great guy he is.
More than willing to help out the new guy. He got me hooked and I'm ready to upgrade.

Here is what I have. A 20"x6' aluminum pan with a drain in one corner.

Now what? I'm thinking block arch?

Ausable
04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Yep - a block arch would do the trick if you are gonna keep batch boiling. Another thing that would help make it more efficient would be to make the block arch big enough to accomodate some kind of preheater area, next to the pan you now have, to hold pots or a pan to preheat Your sap prior to adding to your main pan. --- Mike

NH/Pete
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Any guess as to gallons per hour of evaporation? 15?

Ausable
04-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been using a hotel pan and a single propane burner for years.

This year I met Chris from Morning Star Farm in NH. What a great guy he is.
More than willing to help out the new guy. He got me hooked and I'm ready to upgrade.

Here is what I have. A 20"x6' aluminum pan with a drain in one corner.

Now what? I'm thinking block arch?

NH/Pete -- I think I missed something - as I reread Your post. You have two pans now - right? If the pan that has the drain on it also has a valve - You can set your block arch up so that this pan is elevated above your main pan and use it as your preheater pan and open the valve to drain hot sap into your main pan. --- Mike

Ausable
04-14-2011, 11:34 AM

It would only be a guess - I really don't know -- Mike

NH/Pete
04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
NH/Pete -- I think I missed something - as I reread Your post. You have two pans now - right? If the pan that has the drain on it also has a valve - You can set your block arch up so that this pan is elevated above your main pan and use it as your preheater pan and open the valve to drain hot sap into your main pan. --- Mike

The big pan has the drain. I could use the small pan as a preheater.
I'd just need to add the valve.

Ausable
04-16-2011, 12:24 PM
The big pan has the drain. I could use the small pan as a preheater.
I'd just need to add the valve.

OK -- I have an old steam table pan with a valve in it and I also use it to finish near syrup on a turkey fryer burner and it works great for that too.

buck3m
04-16-2011, 12:55 PM

I've heard the rule of thumb for a flat pan is to mulitiply the feet in width by the feet in length. For example, I recently sold a 2x8 flat pan. Theoretically that could do about 16 gph, although I could get consistently boiling 20. That was with a bricked steel arch and in a building.

Perhaps you could get 15 gph, but I think you're likely to get closer to 12.

maplekid
04-16-2011, 01:52 PM
i noticed you mentioned it was aluminum. with the heating of the sap in the pan youll want to empty the pan each night into a bucket or container oce your done boiling. as i understand aluminum releases toxic god knows what if something is left in it. so if your making batches and you dnt finish in one night;pour off whats in the pan into a bucket to lower the risk of contamination. just my two cents, nate

Bernie/MA
04-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I made a simple arch frame to sit on blocks for my grandson. It has a grate made from a piece of old fire escape with a door that hangs on a couple pins you take off for wood firing. It has an 8" stack on the back end going straight up. His frame is 16" wide, length of a block, and 4' long for a 18x36 pan. I could make one for you to fit the pan(s) you have. I'm in central MA about 30 miles south of Keene. Email is bearlysane43atyahoodotcom if you want me to send pics. Thanks, Bernie

maple flats
04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
My guess would be 10-11 GPH unless you add bloers and insulate the arch. Definately do not hold product in the aluminum. I can taste when syrup was made in aluminum, but you would sure not be the only one doing it. Many turkey fryer syrup producers are using aluminum pots.

buck3m
04-17-2011, 09:45 AM
as i understand aluminum releases toxic god knows what if something is left in it. ...

Can you quote a scientific authority on this?

"During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat."

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

CBOYER
04-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Whit aluminium, you cannot leave long time syrup and minerals, it will pitted. if you clean it regulary, no problem, and of course, it will melt very fast if you scorch it...

NH/Pete
04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I think I'll go with the block arch. I talked to a friend today about a frame to hold the pan. Should be easy to get done.

As for the aluminum pan I thank all you guys for your replies. I will be sure to drain the pan and give it a quick rinse between batches.

Thanks again for the input everyone.
Peter