PDA

View Full Version : boiling sap to fast

Lukie
04-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Can you boil all most syrup to hot and fast so that you scorch or burn the syrup I have been boiling down 60 to 70 gallons of sap on my barrel stove to about 5 gallons filtering this through two pre filters taking out all the stuff you can see and boiling the five gallons on my turkey fryer in a big blue canning kettle and it looks great until I get down to about two gallons and then it start looking very dirty kind of like looking at juice with a lot of pulp in it ? with a tint of red or rust color and when I filter this through 2 pre filters and one wool cone filter it comes out great but it takes some time and the pan is left with a tan color on the bottom of the pan which vinegar will take this off but I must be doing something wrong I made 10 gallons this year not bad

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Thats just what they call nitre build-up that occurs from minerals in the sap. Nothing abnormal going on there.

Haynes Forest Products
04-14-2011, 09:01 AM
I have taked the worst of the dregs from my finish pans during cleaning and when I got 5 gallons I checked for density and man did it look like crap and filterd it thru the press and dang it was good looking and tasty

mike z
04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
I was wondering the same thing. After a few good boils I went to clean the front pan and discovered a couple hard to clean spots. They were brown not black. I was wondering if I "burned the pan". It cleaned off after some deal of scrubing.

red maples
04-15-2011, 06:49 AM
when you get the niter build up in the stainless pans (those brown spots) its time to clean with vinegar. these can lead to hot spots in the pan, and can in turn lead to a burnt niter flavor in your syrup which can happen in a flue pan too if you don't clean it at least once during the season.

boiling too fast? geez most of time it doesn't seem to boil fast enough:rolleyes:

Otherwise nothing abnormal. I have found that sometimes even the niter itself can have an off flavor and once you get it filtered out it looks and tastes great.

mike z
04-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks Red. I'm going to go out and try for some more right now. Skipped the mouth run this year and went straight to the spider run. Don't usually get a spider run. Weird?