PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question

70 Buick
04-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I have only been doing syrup for the last 2 years
first on a wood stove with assorted pans on it outside
this year I built a shack & a barrel evaporator
I look in the classified section from time to time & always see these divided pans
do you have to transfer the sap forward from one division to another while boiling?, with a ladle or something?, or does it move from one to another somehow?

Just wondering

SeanD
04-13-2011, 07:57 PM
There are cut outs at the end and bottom of each divider. Each cut out is at opposite end of the previous and the following divider so that the sap serpentines or zig-zags its way back and forth as it moves across the pan. So a three-foot pan with three dividers gives you four compartments or channels and the sap travels twelve feet from end to end.

Sean

Ausable
04-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I have only been doing syrup for the last 2 years
first on a wood stove with assorted pans on it outside
this year I built a shack & a barrel evaporator
I look in the classified section from time to time & always see these divided pans
do you have to transfer the sap forward from one division to another while boiling?, with a ladle or something?, or does it move from one to another somehow?

Just wondering

Hi again 70 Buick - What You are talking about is a flow thru pan - Most all the large evaporators are built that way and have raised or drop flues in the sap section. All the devided sections have openings - Sap goes in the first sap pan and comes out syrup or near syrup from the last syrup pan when drawn off. I have a flat pan - flow thru - homemade - 2' x 5' evaporator made from an old fuel oil tank. My pan has five sections - 2 sap pans 12" x 24" each and 3 syrup pans 8" x 36" each - all inter-connected. I have plugs I can install - one between the sap and syrup pans and one between the second and last syrup pans - these are handy when shutting down for the night to keep everything from blending together. Also - When you run out of sap and have to chase the say and syrup with water so as not to loose anything. When I do that - I do use a scoop and move from section with the plugs installed and careful not to scorch the pans.....Nice to have a Son that is a Machinist and a Grandson that is a Welder and nice enough to make things for me. --- Hope I helped some -- For years I had one large batch pan and I would preheat my sap in two pots - A lot slower. The Boys want me to go with drop flues which would be even more efficient.... But dang - the new rig really keeps me hopping as it is --- Mike

70 Buick
04-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks to both of you , I felt stupid asking LOL

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-15-2011, 04:48 AM
no stupid questions here. Just because you didn't know this doesn't mean its a stupid question we all are learning through out our life. If you ever find some one who knows it all, stay away from them they will end up hurting you, themselves or every one.

Ausable
04-15-2011, 06:29 AM
no stupid questions here. Just because you didn't know this doesn't mean its a stupid question we all are learning through out our life. If you ever find some one who knows it all, stay away from them they will end up hurting you, themselves or every one.

Amen to that Flat Lander --- At age 70 - I'm still learning and still amazed at how little I know. I think Dumb is when You don't ask. I ask my Great-Grandson questions -- However he scares me a little as he thinks he already knows everything - the poor little mush-head -- lol -- Mike