PDA

View Full Version : Different elevation bushes..need some input

Maplewalnut
04-13-2011, 07:50 AM
I know we had a similiar debate a few years ago but I am going to throw two scenarios at you guys for comment. My woods are at about 1700 feet elevation with a south west exposure. In an effort to 'extend the season' I am currently looking at two different remote bushes. Tap count on them is about the same, each would be tubed and probably set up with a gas dairy pump for now.

First bush is borders a large creek on the east and and farm fields on west, fairly flat and about 1200 feet elevation. Its is due south which on average runs about 5-6 degrees warmer than my hilltop so I would expect this to run earlier than my woods.

Second bush is due north about 200 feet higher and is facing due north. I would expect this bush to run later than mine.

Which would you choose?

Mike

802maple
04-13-2011, 08:47 AM
If you want it long choose them both. North facing bushes have there advantages on warm years and the warmer bushes have there advantages as they did this year.

Jeff E
04-13-2011, 09:37 AM
If you can only get one of them, which has better access, better options for power, better tubing layout.

I am thinking about how the system will work in the long term. Less maintenance, less need to do daily line drains, problem with lift areas, etc = higher vacuum, higher quality syrup,and more time for other stuff.

Maplewalnut
04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Jerry I figured you would say that. I can definitely only do one for this year. Darn RO may be too small already if I try and do both. I guess I am thinking there is more room for error if the bush runs warmer than what I have now. Seems like in this part of PA we ease into the mapling season but the end is pretty abrupt regardless of the year. I think I can catch a few early runs better than try and extend the season much past where it ends now which is a day or two from April 1

Jeff- it may be a wash. North bush has good slope easy road access but they are woods trees. South bush has big mature trees with huge crowns that look like they would have better sugar percent but I would have to have someone plow me through a field to haul sap away. I see the field getting real muddy by end of season.

Jeff E
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
The plowing and mud are the things that come to my mind as big factors in the decision. If you have the right equipment and time to deal with that, OK.
If not, yikes, you could be literally stuck in the mud, unable to get that sap out and keeping you from doing other things, like making syrup.

I spend a lot of energy professionally and in the rest of my life thinking about what we call 'life cycle' costs. What does a decision cost you, not just up front, but over the life of that decision.
Like my first riding mower I bought used. I would spent 2 hours of repair for every 3 hours of mowing. After a couple of years, as life got busier, I could not afford to keep doing that. bought a new one, and now spend 2 hours of repair/maint for every 100 hrs of mowing. You get the idea.
I cant afford time eaters in my life, especially during syrup time.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I have 2 south bushes and I tap them 2 to 4 weeks before the north side bush. By doing this, I can extend the season out and try to catch the best runs on both sides. I was able to make syrup for 8 weeks this year by doing it that way.

BryanEx
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Which would you choose?
If I had to choose I would go for the earlier bush. Every season I am itching to get started but by the end of the season I am spent. I would think a partial sap flow would be more welcomed early on while I'm still fresh and enthusiastic.

DaveB
04-14-2011, 06:24 AM
I have several sugar bushes. I have ones in the CT River Valley at 200' and I have others in the hills over 1200'. It helps me extend my season and I see that as a benefit.

If you only have access to one of those bushes, I would probably lean toward the north facing one because of the access issue that you mentioned.

In terms of the south facing one, could you have a battery (or solar) powered transfer pump move the sap across the field? You could also do what I do. I have a place that is like that about 200' from the road so I hooked up an electric pump in my collection bin and I have an inverter in my truck that runs it. So I just pull up, plug in and the sap starts flowing. When I'm done, the sap flows back down hill into the tank again so keep the hose clear. Saves me from having to drive across that field.

Dave