PDA

View Full Version : cream/sugar machine reccomondations

tuckermtn
04-13-2011, 07:46 AM
finally made enough syrup this season to have some to play around with. Looking for recomondations for cream or sugar machines. I would like to make cream and sugar only at this point. Can you make cream and sugar with the Leader Cream machine? (the round one with the paddles) I know that you need to put it in the mixer to get the granulated sugar. Is there another machine out there that can make cream, sugar and candy? Would be willing to pay more for one machine if it can make multiple products.

Still new to this side of the maple biz, so sorry for the beginner questions....

Looking for manufactured units- don't have time to make something myself.

Amber Gold
04-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Eric,

I have an older version of Leader's candy machine...basically the same thing. I use it to make candy and cream and it does a great job for both products. It might take a little longer making the cream, but the crystals are very fine. The other benefit is you don't have to transfer the cream from the mixing bowl to the jars, you just pour it into the containers so it'll save you that step. Also you don't need a seperate container to heat the syrup in. I would just get a candy machine and don't see the reason to have both.

Candy and cream have been great sellers this year, so it's worthwhile to get into.

tuckermtn
04-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Josh- thanks for the reply...Is that the sipple machine with the pig pan?

Sounds like you had an awsome season...

Amber Gold
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Yes and yes...very happy with this season and off to a good start w/ sales too which is always nice.

brookledge
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
If you make candy with a cream machine it will set up into a big block and it is not easy to fill molds. If you use a candy machine to make cream it will work just not as good as a regular cream machine.
Keith

tuckermtn
04-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I think I'm going to start with the cream machine and make cream and sugar. If I can find a cheaper used candy machine I'll pick one up.

hey Keith- how was your season?

brookledge
04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I had a great season made just about .6 gallons per tap
Keith

Sugarmaker
04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
We have a cream machine, shown below after latest rebuild of the gears. It has a plastic funnel and copper fittings and a plastic return line. ( need more pictures assembled).
This gear pump cream machine mounts into the power head of the big Hobart mixer.
We use the Hobart industrial mixer to make granulated sugar about 1.5 gallons at a time [12 lb].
We also have a candy machine built from a kit. Older Grimm pan and trough. Like the Sipple version.
We like all three units:) As the business grows its nice to have machines for this work.
The candy machine will make cream but takes a little more work than the gear machine.
Regards,
Chris

mapleack
04-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Chris, I'm interested in more pics of your cream machine. I'm shopping for a hobart like yours right now for sugar and the idea of using it to run a cream machine too is a great one!

mapleack
04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I just bought a Hobart a200 mixer on ebay! Hope I wasn't bidding against anyone on here.... Chris, I'm really interested in details on your cream machine add on now!!!!