PDA

View Full Version : Musky taste (newbie question)

FrankThomas
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I am brand new to sugaring and have a question. My syrup had a bit of a musky taste. It's a beautiful clear light brown and very sweet but the after taste is a little off putting. If I can be confident of the quality of my syrup I'd like to expand enough to sell a small amount locally next year.

I tapped 10 trees and got 25 gallons of sap in 48 hours. I was blown away. I tapped in late February when the nights were still very cold. I live in West Michigan, lower Penninsula in Grand Rapids. I stored my sap in 5 gallon frosting buckets from the bakery. I stored them on the shady side of a building covered in snow.

I started boiling the sap 4 days after collection. I boiled it on a conventional large soup pot on a propane burner out side. I only processed 15 gallons which yeilded just a little over 2 pints after 11 hours of boiling. I boiled to 7 degrees F over boilding for water at my elevation. I strained it through a brand new fine mesh permanent coffee filter. I canned it in sterile half pint jars immediately.

The whole experience was a lot of fun and rewarding. Making such a traditional product from my own trees on my own land by my own hand was very cool. But it's go to taste right.

Thanks for any advice.

mellondome
04-12-2011, 01:52 PM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=12888&highlight=flavor

this is a link on the subject.