PDA

View Full Version : happy with a 2 by 8 evaporator

borninmaple
04-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I am about to pull the trigger and order a CDL 2 by 8 evaporator. I was wondering if there are any opinions on this size of evaporator. Does it operate well? Easy to get a full boil? I am a bit worried that perhaps it is too long for the width. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Brent
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
If I was buying an new evap today, regardless of the size, I'd go for the maxi-flue design from Leader. Extra surface area = better heat exchange, efficiency and fewer logs to split. Regardless of 24 x 8 or 30 x 8, get the maxi-flue and get reversible flow pans.

thenewguy
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
just some food for though...chevy vs ford thing. i was going to buy a CDL until I seen a Lapierre. CDL deluxe stainless evap doesnt even compare to lapierres. A friend of mine bought a new CDL, the floats dont seem to work worth a **** (will flood the pan if not careful or left on for the night) the pan plugs dont fit right, there is only a"U" jointer from pan to pan, you cant drain the joint if removing the pans for dissassembly and the doors are small on the front. I bought a lapierre and there are more taps on the rig for draining every float box and pipe, the doors are nice and big, the pans are beautiful. the float boxes work awesome. i can leave my feed tank valve on and never flood a pan over night Although the sight glass for the pan is alot nicer on the cdl vs lapierre. Check out the 2x8 lapierre on Youtube video from the maple guys...You may pay alittle more for the lapierre but I think its worth it. Me personally Lapierre-Waterloo is the only way to go......Funny how they invited the force 5 evap and CDL is coming out with a similar one now.........

Brent
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
If you don't go for the Leader Maxi-flue, my second choice would be to go with a rig made by Patrick Phaneuf. His craftsmanship is superior to anyones and his prices are better than anyone I'vd compared to.

I had a 2 x 6 from him and loved it until we outgrew it.

He is often late on delivery, so now is the time.
see www.maplesyrupevaporators.com

The above comments on float valves not working is also an issue with my current rig. The floats and seals are in good shape, they just don't apply enough pressure to stop the rig from flooding overnight.

wiam
04-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I am evaporating about 55 gallons /hr with a mason drop tube 2x6.

William

highlandcattle
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
We took delivery on our custom raised flue,Classic 2x8 this past year. Got a great deal from our supplier, that is why we chose that brand, also checked out all the others and prices were just out of our reach. Drove ourselves crazy trying to decide and then when we went to the open house just did it. First year of using it. Floats don't work well, plugs don't fit right, no customer support after all this money. A struggle to get any info. and NO directions either! I was told this is an industry standard, so change it! Stainless steel prices are going up real fast and we didn't want to wait any longer.My husband just said no shut off between the float box and the back pan. He does like it though. We have our own 15 acre sugarbush and put in tubing and vacuum too, so lots of money and everything new to us. Lots of tweeking for this year, but we did great on not knowing. 224 taps and about 63 gallons of great syrup. Next year easily double that. Read about Patrick ,but too many people waiting... just comes down to how much money and personal taste. Good luck. We went through a series of junky throw togethers, half-pint and a used 2x4, then went to this. Next year should have everything paid back in sales.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-12-2011, 07:22 PM

William

I need to come up there and see what your doing, I can get 34 at best.]
\

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-12-2011, 08:48 PM
I have a 2x8 welded Leader with American pans and have boiled on it for 8 years and made 650+ gallon of syrup on it boiling raw sap at a 50 to 1 average ratio. Better to spend a few hundred more $$$ over a 2x6 and well worth the money. Not too long at all and I would rather have a 2x12 if I could get one custom built. I have Leader pans and they are tremendous quality and their customer service and dealer network in US is second to none.

3rdgen.maple
04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
I have talked to more than one guy that says they wish they went with a 3x8 or the 30"x8 instead of the 2x8. They said that the firebox is too narrow to get the max out of the 6 foot flue pan. It makes sense to me. Bigger firebox more heat. I love my Phanuef rig, Pushing it hard I can get 40 and sometimes a little over that. But I sure do wish I would have gotten a 3x10 instead. I outgrew it before I tapped a tree lol. The float box on it is outstanding. No problems with it at all and on its 3rd season.

Monster Maples
04-12-2011, 10:53 PM

William

Never heard of anyone getting those kind of numbers from a 2x6. That is pretty impressive

thenewguy
04-13-2011, 01:01 AM
seems like every area or region has a local supplier and most maple equipment around that area is what that dealer sells... doesnt matter what brand, but if you need to get parts or service fast make sure that dealer can do so. Around my area there is very very little phaneuf or leader...Brent, is there a leader dealer in ontario?

borninmaple
04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the help. It sounds like the CDL has issues with it's float and plugs. Maybe this is why their unit is the cheapest and comes with the most options. I will ask the dealer if any changes have been made to the design or what there response to this issue is. I am going check out the Lapierre model next week.

Is only having the u connection between the pans a major inconvenience? Not having owned a modern evaporator I assume the problem is that when you remove the pans for reversing or cleaning all the sap in the connectors spills everywhere. That on top of the plugs not sealing would add to the mess? It sounds like the Lapierre solves these problems with all the shutoffs. How often would the pans be disassembled on a 2 by 8?

Thanks again for any comments

thenewguy
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
i was pulling my front pans every second boil to clean, and i think it makes the world of difference. Every pipe on my lapierre has a drain with a shut off on it, there is probably between 8-10 shut offs on the evaporator (all stainless of course) and also has a pipe coming off the flue pan to the hot float box to drain sugar sand and sediment. ive never seen this on any other evaporator, and its amazing the crud that will collect there. when running there evaporator and you shut down for the night seems like they though of everything. you can shut off and drain every float box easily to make your next start up simple and easy

western mainer
04-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Wiam, what do you have on that mason drop tube 2x6? that brings the rate up?
Brian

allgreenmaple
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I have talked to more than one guy that says they wish they went with a 3x8 or the 30"x8 instead of the 2x8. They said that the firebox is too narrow to get the max out of the 6 foot flue pan. It makes sense to me. Bigger firebox more heat. I love my Phanuef rig, Pushing it hard I can get 40 and sometimes a little over that. But I sure do wish I would have gotten a 3x10 instead. I outgrew it before I tapped a tree lol. The float box on it is outstanding. No problems with it at all and on its 3rd season. If you can find a decent arch for a 3' x 10', I paid around 5k for the pans for my 3' x 10'. Take a look in my photobucket. I don't have them on the arch yet, they're in my shop.

wiam
04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I need to come up there and see what your doing, I can get 34 at best.]
\

I think it is the tubes. I will say the air over fire was a complete flop.

Come on up. Hope to see more sap. Boiled at least a little bit every day. 6 gallons today in a little under 2 hrs from lighting to fire completely out.

William

3rdgen.maple
04-13-2011, 08:39 PM
If you can find a decent arch for a 3' x 10', I paid around 5k for the pans for my 3' x 10'. Take a look in my photobucket. I don't have them on the arch yet, they're in my shop.

Oh believe me I already have looked at the photos. Those are almost identical with mine except of course the size and the drawoff boxes on yours are enclosed. Mine are larger and open on the top. Wondering how hard yours would be to clean inside them that way. I am always amazed at the craftsmanship, now if he would keep deliveries. This is a thought for me to take. The building of an arch would be the easy part but an arch is the cheap part of the build. He offered me a trade in on mine and I just have to decide if I am willing to spend more money on another evaporator yet. There are so many upgrades I want to make, just which one comes first. lol

3rdgen.maple
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I think it is the tubes. I will say the air over fire was a complete flop.

Come on up. Hope to see more sap. Boiled at least a little bit every day. 6 gallons today in a little under 2 hrs from lighting to fire completely out.

William

55 is a huge number for a 2x6. His website claims 35

heus
04-13-2011, 08:43 PM
3rdgen may I ask what he is willing to give you for your trade?

3rdgen.maple
04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I think I will hold back on that. He reads the Trader and I dont want to blow any deal. The trade in was verbal and was not set in stone until inspection. I will say it is better than I expected. Like I said though Im on the fence with what IM going to do first.

wiam
04-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Wiam, what do you have on that mason drop tube 2x6? that brings the rate up?
Brian

Big blower(lots of sparks):rolleyes: Preheater and hood.

William

wiam
04-14-2011, 07:58 AM
55 is a huge number for a 2x6. His website claims 35

I think he way under rates them. I think 35 would be low with no blower or preheater.

All i can tell you is the ro was sending 10% to the feed tank at 1 gallon /minute according to the flowmeter and the evaporator was keeping even with the tank so by my math 86/10% = 8.6 gallons of sap/gallon of syrup 60gallons'hr/8.6gallons of sap=7 gallons of syrup/hr 60gallonstotal input -7 gallons of syrup/hr= 53 gallons of evaporation/hr.

I have a neighbor getting low 40s with a raised flue leader 2x6 with a blower and preheater.

William

3rdgen.maple
04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
The preheater and blower is the key to your 53. I did not see that before. I get a consitant 40 with my 2x6 without blower or preheater. Im sure I could be doing alot better with the add ons as well. Boiling that 10 % must keep you on your toes.

wiam
04-15-2011, 10:49 PM
12% is more fun:) I could not imagine boiling raw sap now.

William