PDA

View Full Version : Slow Evaporation Rate

MartinP
04-11-2011, 08:06 PM
While boiling yesterday it seemed to evaporate less per hour as the outside temp climbed during the day. Used the same amount of wood and boil looked good but gal per hour kept getting slower. Is there a correlation between evaporation rates and temp of the room? It got to 80 deg by mid afternoon, never have boiled when that warm, sure was strange 80 deg with snow still being at the sugarhouse.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Warmer it is in the sugarhouse, the better the evaporation rate should be unless the humidity is at 100%. Steam evaporates into the air quicker at a higher room temperature and I do better at warmer temps.

Kev
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
LOL you still have snow and we have dandilions, mowed the lawn already. :(

vtmapleman
04-12-2011, 07:17 AM
I have had the same problem the last few boils - which by the way this happens to me each year when the season is winding down. I attributed it to build up of 'stuff' on the pans, air pressure differences, etc. The temperature was in the low to mid 50's - still have about a foot of snow in the sugarbush - hoping for a couple of more boils - extended forcast for Thurs/Friday has the low in the mid/upper 20's.