PDA

View Full Version : Ungraded syrup at Hannafords

gmcooper
04-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Last week someone mentioned that Hannaford stores were now carrying Smuckers brand pure maple syrup with no grade on it. I think it is Ohio syrup. Maine has grading laws that require all syrup to have the grade labeled on each container. I believe Vt and other states do as well. The dept of Ag has been notified but it will probably take a number of complaints to get anything done.
Anyone else seen any of it out there? From Hannafords web site it looks like it maybe sold in all stores. It is in several around here.

vtmapleman
04-11-2011, 08:22 AM
In Vermont I believe this would be illegal. I know it would take Henry Marckes (Vt State Ag Dept) about 30 seconds and he would be walking into the store in violation. I would expect the fine to be pretty serve - again I beleive the fine is based upon the number of containers in violation but not sure. If this is true Hannafords know the rules.

gmcooper
04-11-2011, 09:53 AM
From the website for Hannafords looks like the store in Burlington, VT also carries the same syrup. Some of the other syrup listed for that store is different than what the stores here carry.

Dill
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm always impressed how well VT takes care of the maple industry. In fact I'm jealous we will never get that level of dedication from NH.

Homestead Maple
04-11-2011, 05:17 PM
NH has a law that states that all maple syrup has to be labeled as to the grade but when people have questioned this, the answer they get is that our Attorney Generals Office has to many more serious offenders to pursue.

maple maniac65
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
IF you want Nh to have that much dedication maybe you should step up and help out. Just a few can not do alone.

bobbyjake
04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
grab a grocery cart and fill it with the illegal product and march it down to the customer service desk. As long as you can stand there with a straight face and argue with the manager that you only had the store's interest in mind by helping them to remove an illegal and unsanctioned product from their shelves, there isn't much she/he can say.

happy thoughts
04-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Along the lines of the last poster, two places to complain that might be more effective than just going to the state ag dept is to call or write Hannaford and Smuckers. You should mention that it was also reported to the ag dept. That may move the source and/or the supplier to take their own actions to remove the product from sale.

Dill
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
IF you want Nh to have that much dedication maybe you should step up and help out. Just a few can not do alone.

And I'm glad you guys on the association do what you do. I'm shooting more towards the state gov. VT's state gov, actively protects their ag. NH for the most part doesn't care. We have the granite state dairy promotion but that is funded by dairy producers. Plus I'm too busy fighting the local PD who wants each open sugar house to have a police detail. Good thing I'm a selectman.

maplwrks
04-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I just took a tour through the Hannafords in Rutland. The Smuckers syrup on the shelf was labelled as Grade A pure maple syrup. I think that this will satisfy the Dept of Ag....Maybe

802maple
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Actually Mike, it should be graded Grade A medium or Grade A Dark to be legal