PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Hydrometer

SDdave
04-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Wow do I love this thing. No more guessing involved! I was lucky enough to go through the season without breaking one! Well, now that I typed that I will have to purchase three for next year! Definitely a must for newbies.

SDdave

BobU
04-11-2011, 07:50 AM
SDdave, No such thing as too many hydrometers. Just keep the spares in a safe place, and remember where that place is. :)

Ausable
04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow do I love this thing. No more guessing involved! I was lucky enough to go through the season without breaking one! Well, now that I typed that I will have to purchase three for next year! Definitely a must for newbies.

SDdave

SDdave - I agree - I used mine all season and no more thin Maple Syrup - However - When finishing -- Now I have to be careful not to go tooooo far and end up with half Maple Sugar in my jars --- Problems - problems -- Yep - really like my syrup hydrometer and gonna order another --- Mike

RileySugarbush
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
If you are new to using syrup hydrometers, consider measuring the temperature as well as density and then looking at chart to determine the right density. The two red lines are only good for exactly those temperatures and syrup cools very quickly after you draw. It can make a big difference.

Ausable
04-11-2011, 09:34 AM
John -- I Thank You for the tip --- Yes - I am new at using a syrup hydrometer and again thanks --- Mike

Gary in NH
04-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Make sure you rinse it off frequently too. A little syrup stuck on it adds weight and makes it "ride heavy". This causes you to go past the mark and make denser syrup than you intend.