PDA

View Full Version : New to forum... should I tap these trees?

jkbemdavis
04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Hello! I have been eagerly reading this forum as I begin to plan for the next year and the beginning of very small scale ( I know.... famous last words) Maple syrup production.
Here is my question. I have approximately 10 mature maples (around 3 feet in diameter) that are near the edge of the road (within 10 feet, so the roots are definitely there). As I live in western New York and salt/brine is used to clear snow in the winter, would I have to avoid these trees, or would it not have a negative effect on the sap?
Thanks for your thoughts, and for a very entertaining and educational forum.
John

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
No, you should worry any about tapping them. If they are well spaced out in the open, they will probably produce tons of sap with 2 to 3 buckets/taps on each tree. Tree has a natural filtering system.

jkbemdavis
04-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi Brandon,
Thanks for the quick reply. My grandparents used to tap them when I was a kid, but I figured maybe things had changed since then so I oughtta check with the experts here. Much appreciated.
John

maple flats
04-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Roadside trees will be the best trees you can find. The sap will have a higher sugar% because they have bigger crowns too. Tap them!!! The salt will not come up in the sap.

KenWP
04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Wish somebody would talk to my roadside trees.They hardly give anything.What they do give is very sweet but 4 foot trees and they only give a gallon or so a day and that is with 3 taps in them.

CBOYER
04-10-2011, 08:19 PM
trees roots were good filters but be aware of brine splashing by cars circulation.

Kev
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I have found that the trees within 10 feet of pavement tend to give less sap than the equivelent tree 20 or 30 feet from a road. I SPECULATE that it is because so much of the root is under the pavement and may have less water due to hard pack roadbed.
but they are still worth tapping

jkbemdavis
04-11-2011, 07:05 AM
I appreciate all of the thoughts. I had imagined that the larger crowns would likely help in sap production, but hadn't thought about it possibly being diminished due to the structure of the road being hard packed.

Sugarmaker
04-11-2011, 08:53 AM
jkbemdavis,
Yes tap them!
I would recommend buckets for the first year so that you can see how each tree runs. Now start looking for a couple dozen or hundred more and you will be in good shape:)
These are the type of trees where if you could find 100 of them you would be set for awhile:)
We have 550 ish taps all on road side or yard maples. Sap yield is good and sugar contents is above 2% most years.
Good luck with your sugaring adventures. Keep us up dated!
Regards,
Chris

Southtowns27
04-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Off topic, but where in WNY are you? I'm just outside Springville. Welcome to the addiction!

jkbemdavis
04-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Not a problem... I'm in Frewsburg, near Jamestown. Thanks for the welcome....I seem to be diving into the addiction.
John

WI Sugarpop
04-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Check out this article.

http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/saltysyrup1987.pdf

04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I find that my trees run less than the trees my neighbor has tapped because the water tends o build up more on that side of the road

Hop Kiln Road
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
When the hydrometer pops up on roadside sap, you have to decide how much of the density is sugar and how much is salt.

www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/saltysyrup1987.pdf