PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with the Basics

U.S.M.C.Cpl
04-10-2011, 04:14 PM
I would like to run some 3/4" mainline, and 5/16" lat lines, but I have alot of questions...
What should I use for mainline???
What wire should I get???
What is the difference in semi ridged and ridged???
I dont have alot of money!!!
How often do I support the mainline???
What do I use to tension the wire for mainline???
Again I can not afford all of the fancy tools to do the job!!!
How many taps can I run on lat line???
How long should my lat lines be???

Any and all help is welcome!!!

stoweski
04-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm kind of in the same position that you're in. I found that the chapter in the North American Syrup Producer's Manual to be very helpful.

Not sure if the older edition that has been posted recently ("maple sirup" is the way it's listed) has the same info in it or not.

Oh, and as others here have posted, The Sweetest Drip DVD is helpful as well.

U.S.M.C.Cpl
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
North American Syrup Producer's Manual (wow thats like $45.00) (Why do none of the book stores sell this book??)
The Sweetest Drip DVD (OMG $30, If it deals with Maple Syrup it is not cheap at all is it???)

U.S.M.C.Cpl
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info and advise!!!

More is welcome!!!

U.S.M.C.Cpl
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Can I use zip ties instead of those twist ties???

PerryW
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Now I'm old-school, so some of the more modern sugarmakers may have to correct me but....

I would like to run some 3/4" mainline, and 5/16" lat lines, but I have alot of questions...
What should I use for mainline???

I used the 3/4" black plastic waterline 22 years ago and it still works and looks like new, but Leader makes mainline now that many are using.

What wire should I get???

9 gauge steel wire or 12 gauge HT to support the mainline and 12 gauge to side pull the mainline wire to trees. Use a scrap hunk of 5/16" tubing to protect the tree you are side-pulling to.

What is the difference in semi ridged and ridged???

not sure. I think maybe the semi-rigid won't kink if you fold it in half. Maybe better for droplines?

I dont have alot of money!!!
How often do I support the mainline???

First, unroll the wire up the path you cleared and fasten the mainline wire to trees at the top and bottom, using some pieces of strapping to protect the tree.
You side-pull the mainline by hooking smaller gauge wire to the bigger mainline wire every 50 to 100'. Keep adding side pulls until it is as tight as you can make it. Then attach the mainline wire using wireities every 2 feet. Make sure to fasten the mainline at the top and bottom (to the same tree your mainline goes to) or your mainline will start to loosen up and get wavy over the years.

What do I use to tension the wire for mainline???

You can get the wire very tight using the side-pulls. Just lean on the mainline wire and keep tightening the side-pull wire, then twist it off.

Again I can not afford all of the fancy tools to do the job!!!
How many taps can I run on lat line???

I use diagonal cutters and a Bik lighter to install and repair my laterals. DOn't over-heat the plastic or you will lose strength.
For vacuum, strive for 5 taps but never more than 10. For gravity up to 20 or even thirty.

How long should my lat lines be???

The shorter the better for vacuum. Probably shorter works better for gravity too, but some of mine are 500' long as it was cost-prohibitive to run my mainline up that far.

Any and all help is welcome!!![/QUOTE]

Hop Kiln Road
04-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Where in NH? First, you need to look at several existing systems to see what will work best for your trees and setup. Second, there are a lot of inexpensive ways to start and then upgrade as you grow.

TRAILGUY
04-10-2011, 07:33 PM
vacuum or gravity and look at others before you start and be careful how you hook up the end tree all mine have a dead spot in them i will change before next year.

stoweski
04-10-2011, 07:43 PM
North American Syrup Producer's Manual (wow thats like $45.00) (Why do none of the book stores sell this book??)
The Sweetest Drip DVD (OMG $30, If it deals with Maple Syrup it is not cheap at all is it???)

http://extension.unh.edu/Forestry/Docs/Maple1.pdf
$17.50 softbound, $25 hard.

For $17.50 it's worth it!

Have not been able to find the dvd for less.

maple flats
04-10-2011, 08:06 PM
This year I tried using mainline without support wire and I really liked the results. I used the Rapi-Tube system but used Leader 30P tubing. A few things to bear in mind. I used a come-a-long to streatch the tubing. I connected one end to a tree, using a loop of high tension wire , threaded thru a scrap of 5/16 to protect the tree and looped thru a pipe grip (chinese finger). On the other end I hooked another pipe grip and hooked the come-a -long to it and pulled as tight as one hand would moderately easily pull the handle. I came back the next day and pulled again until the same tight. Then I made a loop of wire from the chinese finger to around the tree and back to itself. I use a crimp tool and double crleaves to connect the wire to form the loops and any fittings are connected using a mainline tool and after the fittings are inserted I use crimp connections that were slid on before insertion, regular clamps will not hold. After this I use Rapi-Tape to side tie and add tension as well as hold the level. I had sections as long as 75' between side ties and did not get sags on my 2% slope to catch sap. I liked this way. In the past I used support wire and a million wire ties twisted every 12-18" to support the tubing. When the sun came out I always could see little sags between the ties that each held a little sap to spoil during slow or non flow periods, with my new method I had none of these sags. I does require an investment in a come-a-long, chinese fingers, mainline tool, crimper tool for crimp ring clamps and crimper for wire crimp sleaves. The gripples might serve to hold the wire at aech end where anchored to a tree or whatever but conventional hose clamps will not hold the pull tension. The crimp rings I use I get at Lowes at about $3.00/10 pack in both 3/4" and 1". I have not seen them in other sizes. I use the 30P mainline because it stays cooler and is much easier to work with and you can see what is going on inside the tubing. I used to use black but changed because of sap temps and ease of use on the 30P. Other brands of tubing might also work well too, but black pipe is far stiffer to use and heats up more in the sun. Warmer sap often means lower grade syrup.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-10-2011, 09:01 PM

Zip ties are what I use.

U.S.M.C.Cpl
04-11-2011, 04:44 AM
You guys have all been a great help!!!

Could any of you send me PICs of your lines?

I would like to see pics of ends, side pulls, and how you support the lat lines!!!

I learn faster with pics!!!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

I am really trying to help my sister in-law with her senior project!!!
Money is tight as she is in high school!!!
We are using maple lot on in-laws property... It was tapped 10 -12 years ago, lines were left on the ground, wire for support is broken all over the place and animals have chewed up alot of the lines... Support wires are stuck in some trees as the trees grew around them... Taps were left in trees and are grown over... And well there is alot of under brush... We really are trying to rehab the maple lot and produce some maple syrup for her senior project... With little to no equipment at our disposal... I will buy as much as I can afford for her to do her project, but I am not rich by any means... Talking to the people who tapped before they were kicked of the property cause the owner at the time was a mean old lady after her husband died, they said they had over 800 taps on the lot... At some point as my sister in-law is really into this I would like to get back to that number of taps, even if i have to give the sap away, as the price of evaporators is way out of my budget.

So again thank you all for you time and advice on this matter!!!!

lakeview maple
04-11-2011, 07:55 PM

use wire twist ties for rerod there extremely cheap and the tool is only like 3 bucks you can buy a 1000 for like 8 bucks good luck and God Bless

Kev
04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
you can sell the sap! Spend the dollars to tap it right. boil what you can, sell the rest. save as much as you can of the sap money. Build an R/O (increases what syrup you can make off however you plan on boil now). then keep selling sap untill you have enough cash to upgrade the evap. to what you need for the number of taps you have.
Just my 2 cents worth. and I am barely a competent filter washer :)
Thank you for your service!

Haynes Forest Products
04-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Cheap zip ties are a disaster. Good zip ties are great and wrap twice around for better holding. Sun will make them all brittle after awhile and 5 times around with good elec tape will last forever 4 will hold and the fifth will protect.

CBOYER
04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
When you want to install ty-rap at exterior, you need uv resistant ones, like Panduit makes. Go to any good electrical supplier and ask for them.

Luneyburg
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
http://extension.unh.edu/Forestry/Docs/Maple1.pdf
$17.50 softbound, $25 hard.

For $17.50 it's worth it!

Have not been able to find the dvd for less.

Now $31.00(softbound) $45.00 (hardbound) + shipping and here is a direct link to the site where you can order it online .

You can order it over the phone as well but with the lack of staffing it will take much longer. Per conversation with a very pleasant person I spoke to .
Thanks for the link as I called and inquired and found out about the new info I have posted .

http://estore.osu-extension.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=2307