PDA

View Full Version : Powerwashing the pan?

SugarShay
04-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Dh has offered to power wash the evap pan for me. I'm nervous about damaging the pan. Any experience?

It's a 2*3 divided, welded ss pan by Mason, if that makes a difference.

TIA!

maplecrest
04-10-2011, 10:58 AM
powerwash my pans everyday

SugarShay
04-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks! He'll be thrilled he was right. ;)

ennismaple
04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
powerwash my pans everyday

Ditto. If it's welded you'd have to be using an industrial metal cutting power washer to damage the pan!! We won't use anything on our pans that may scrape them so the power washer is the best way to get those stuck on bits to loosen up.

markct
04-11-2011, 09:25 PM
i clean my soldered flue pan top and bottom at the end of the season with my pressure washer, forget the exact psi but its a pretty powerfull one with a 8 hp motor on it and its never been a problem

Sugarmaker
04-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Just power washed the syrup pan last night. Pan looks like hell. Oh yeah, looked worse prior to power washing:)
Chris

BobU
04-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Used a commercial power washer/steamer on my old pan this year, didn't do much.
Used the old vinegar/water and let soak method, the pan looked like brand new with very little elbow grease. :D

supersapper
04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
the vinegar trick worked on my pan as well. put in about 2" and let sit two days. sloshed on the sides every now and then and it came out nice and shiny!:)

JuniperHillSugar
04-13-2011, 02:25 PM
If I hadn't seen it, I would not believe it. The nitre (dark buildup on inside of pan) couldn't be "scoured" off, but after letting the vinegar sit for 1 day, it just washed away with only a little scrubbing. No real need for any harsher acid in my case.

Haynes Forest Products
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Well Im going to come clean about cleaning the pans. After slightliy scorching with a slight wrinkle one of my new pans:emb: I wanted to speed up the prosess with heat but found that just filling with vinigar and let it sit for 24 hrs untill I switched the pans out worked best. Less propane used and no danger of hurting the pan. I built a wheeled cart with a propane burner under the pan to speed up the acid wash. I filled it up and put on the custom cove and put the heat to it. Didnt tell the wife to keep and eye on it until she called to say it started to stink in the sap shack:o Yup I keep inventing ways to screw up the equipment:rolleyes: So with junk from the attic I made a filling tank with pump that transfers the vinigar to and from the pan on the cart and let it sit. Works well.

SugarShay
04-14-2011, 08:54 AM
See, I'd rather just vinegar the pans myself, but he was wanting to help and thought him power washing would save me some time. I'm sure ya understand about wanting to let someone(especially spouse or children) help. If they're willing, ya find something for them! And if they have an idea, even better! :lol:

But after power washing, there was still a few spots. I still did the vinegar clean afterwards to get rid of those spots. :D