PDA

View Full Version : Is filter aid "organic"?

beetree
04-10-2011, 07:25 AM
OK, hears the deal. I've got 35+ pails of unfiltered syrup on my honey house floor. I'm dreading the hole bag filter process that I've used for 15 years. So I start looking for a filter press. I end up finding an old Wes fab knock off that a high-school shop teacher made. The price was right,so I brought it home. Now... this weekend I had several of my "organic" friends stop by to purchase some of my awesome syrup. I was telling them about my new purchase and how it all works when my wife (great saleswomen that she is) told them that D.E. is just ground up fossilized animals. They start freaking out,telling me they cant believe I would add something like that to my syrup! So,my question to all of you today is do the people who are certified organic still get to use D.E.? If so,this should put all there fears to rest since they obviously have more faith in government regulation then I do.

highlandcattle
04-10-2011, 07:37 AM
DE is a needed additive to make the filter press work! If you use cone filters, this is added also, it attacts the impurities and makes for a nicer, cleaner syrup. I am certified through the CNG program and this is just fine. DON'T go telling people stuff like this, they don't understand. If everyone gave it a bit of thought, you wouldn't eat ANYTHING!!!! Just think of all the bugs and pesticides in our food products! Read up on how to use this and you will ok. DE doesn't affect the syrup in any way. If these people are "organic" then they should know better! Good luck. The press will make your life so much easier, best purchase we made!

KenWP
04-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Of course filter aid is organic and it is not ground up fossils but whole little tiny fossils.It is certified for use on organic gardening as the diatoms have sharp edges and cut up the bugs so the dry up and die.
We are also allowed to use it for scour control in organic beef.You feed it free choice to young calves and it helps control scours with out using drugs.
You will probbably get a bunch of different opinions throwen at you from the know it alls on here but for 99.99% of cases they consider it organic since it is a natural product from the earth.

BryanEx
04-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Best thread on Maple Trader about organics and DE - http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9568

Seems there is a difference between organic and 100% organic as well as variations in certificate organization requirements.