PDA

View Full Version : Broome county ?

John c
04-10-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm just wondering who's in broome county and how you did this year? Ive got over 6 gallons of syrup from 15 taps and I'm still going. Sap is getting slow, but still nice and clear! I'm hoping for at least another gallon!
How about you guys?

John c
04-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm just wondering who's in broome county and how you did this year? Ive got over 6 gallons of syrup from 15 taps and I'm still going. Sap is getting slow, but still nice and clear! I'm hoping for at least another gallon!
How about you guys?

Ok, I just got in from pulling all my taps. All 7 of my buckets were full to the rim with a very slight yellowish tint, but this coming week isn't looking very good for flow, so I decided to boil up my last 100 gallons of sap and get everything all cleaned up so I can start my upgrades for next year.
It looks like I'll end up with just over 8 gallons for the season. Not bad for 15 taps in my book!

John c.

hounder
04-11-2011, 07:18 AM
It was our first year and we started out to help a friend get enough to boil and get the syrup in return so we only started making syrup ourselves the last 3 weeks. We had about 150 trees tapped and we were getting between 200 to 350 gallons on collection. It was usually 2 1/2 -3 % but this last 2 times it was just below 2%. I didn't keep good track of what we actually made, but we have a bunch, probably in the neighborhood of 30 gallons. The one time that I figured on one boil it was about 60-1, not sure why but that is what it was. We also live right near you!

John c
04-11-2011, 07:49 AM
It was our first year and we started out to help a friend get enough to boil and get the syrup in return so we only started making syrup ourselves the last 3 weeks. We had about 150 trees tapped and we were getting between 200 to 350 gallons on collection. It was usually 2 1/2 -3 % but this last 2 times it was just below 2%. I didn't keep good track of what we actually made, but we have a bunch, probably in the neighborhood of 30 gallons. The one time that I figured on one boil it was about 60-1, not sure why but that is what it was. We also live right near you!

Good stuff! Do you plan on doing it next year too? I'm up near the airport just about at the highest elevation in the county. Are you tapping near the river at all? I heard the sugar content is pretty good down there.

SPILEDRIVER
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
had @100 taps and made @25 gallons.first 2 weeks on my old flat pan setup,2nd 2 weeks on new to me 2x5 drop flue....allso dumped@350 gallons over the month of march cause i ran out of time to boil....lowest sap test was 1.8 and highest was 3.8 most were in at 2.3....going bigger next year at least 200 taps maybe 250...loooking at a 2x6 setup tommorrow....

John c
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
had @100 taps and made @25 gallons.first 2 weeks on my old flat pan setup,2nd 2 weeks on new to me 2x5 drop flue....allso dumped@350 gallons over the month of march cause i ran out of time to boil....lowest sap test was 1.8 and highest was 3.8 most were in at 2.3....going bigger next year at least 200 taps maybe 250...loooking at a 2x6 setup tommorrow....

You shoulda gave that sap to me, I'm right up the road. Lol! I'm looking to step it up a notch next year, so if you have anything that you are gonna sell let me know! Anything has gotta be faster than a stove top. Lol!

hounder
04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
We are on the other side of 26 from you off of 38B, so we are up high also. Might know us - Molyneauxs Christmas Trees and Blueberries. We are adding Syrup to that list! We too plan on getting a little bigger each year. Have to now that we bought a 4 x 12 wood fired arch. On our farm we have the potential to tap between 2000 and 2500 trees, but will add on a little at a time. Got to get a faster way to get those lines cleaned before I am willing to get that big! We will see how it sells, kind of thought with our other two businesses here on the farm we would have a little niche in the market with our returning customers. We have one fellow that has purchased a xmas tree from us every year for 50 years, so hopefully some of that loyalty will carry over.

dnap63
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
John C. where near the Airport are you you sound like you must be practically in my backyard. We are right on East maine rd. We had a decent year.

John c
04-14-2011, 12:39 AM
John C. where near the Airport are you you sound like you must be practically in my backyard. We are right on East maine rd. We had a decent year.

Yes, I am also on east Maine road! I was at your open house and we chatted for a few minutes, your sugar shack really inspired me! I'm glad you had a good year.

John c
04-14-2011, 12:45 AM
We are on the other side of 26 from you off of 38B, so we are up high also. Might know us - Molyneauxs Christmas Trees and Blueberries. We are adding Syrup to that list! We too plan on getting a little bigger each year. Have to now that we bought a 4 x 12 wood fired arch. On our farm we have the potential to tap between 2000 and 2500 trees, but will add on a little at a time. Got to get a faster way to get those lines cleaned before I am willing to get that big! We will see how it sells, kind of thought with our other two businesses here on the farm we would have a little niche in the market with our returning customers. We have one fellow that has purchased a xmas tree from us every year for 50 years, so hopefully some of that loyalty will carry over.

I know exactly where you are. As a kid we also got a few trees from your farm! It's awesome to know there are a bunch of us here in such a small area. It would be great to all meet up some time over a pancake breakfast when we all can find the time. I'm sure we all know where friends diner is!?

hounder
04-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Yes that would be nice. Friends is the new stopping place for breakfast for us. Used to go to NV to the Truckstop til that burned so now it is Friends. Any weekend is fine by us, pick a day and time!

John c
04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes that would be nice. Friends is the new stopping place for breakfast for us. Used to go to NV to the Truckstop til that burned so now it is Friends. Any weekend is fine by us, pick a day and time!

How's this Saturday at 9:00 am sound? If their are any other local sappers that read this please come and join us. You will know it's me cuz I'll have a mason jar of syrup sitting on my table!:D
Any body that thinks they might show up, just leave a quick conformation here.
Thanks,

John.

hounder
04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
That sounds good, the 2 of us will be there. Look forward to meeting others from our area! Might not be too good for the rest of you since we are newbies and are not afraid of asking questions! :lol:

John c
04-14-2011, 02:41 PM
That sounds good, the 2 of us will be there. Look forward to meeting others from our area! Might not be too good for the rest of you since we are newbies and are not afraid of asking questions! :lol:

See you there!

SPILEDRIVER
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
ill be there at 9am......hey hounder this is pedro....why the heck didnt you tell me youd bought a evap???jordans gonna be pissed at you!

dnap63
04-14-2011, 08:15 PM
sounds like a plan I will try to make it, even if it was to just say hello. I was planning on heading over to NV for freddies auction.

hounder
04-14-2011, 08:37 PM
How about a little earlier would that help? 8am work for you guys any better?

John c
04-14-2011, 09:03 PM
How about a little earlier would that help? 8am work for you guys any better?

If that helps dnap63, I'm all for it!

hounder
04-14-2011, 09:56 PM
gives him more time to get down to Goodriches and spend his money =) Actually they have 2 or 3 of those square water tanks that we were looking at if they went for the right price, they are just so hard to clean!

John c
04-15-2011, 05:54 PM
So I will be there at 8:00am just in case it works out better for anyone! See ya there!

John.

hounder
04-15-2011, 07:51 PM
8 will be better for us anyways. Starved by then! spiledriver will be there also.

hounder
04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
It was nice meeting up, although next time we will have to pick a different place that we can combine tables at.

I went home and made (or should I say attempted to make) maple cream. That night it was creamy and non grainy, but the next morning it did have crystalization in it, not bad but definately not creamy. Is that from not stirring enough?

SPILEDRIVER
04-19-2011, 06:43 PM
hey stacio....;if you made it from the stuff you had on the stove it was WAY to dark,ment to tell you but i forgot(sorry)when it comes to cream the lighter the syrup the better....now if you got anymore of that really dark stuff its what you want for jelly....use 3 tspoons of the powder i gave you

hounder
04-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I used it all up making the cream. I will try a smaller amount with stuff that we have put up, but I still think that I might not have mixed it enough. I had it mixing for 15 or 20 minutes. StaciO has to go!