PDA

View Full Version : Your timeline for processing a good run of sap

PerryW
04-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I'd love to hear how you guys process a typical good day's sap run, especially the RO Guys

My typical Good Run is 400 gallons

5:00 PM Pull in above the sugarhouse, hook up the 1-1/2" pipe, and start the sap gravity transfer to the sugarhouse.

5:01 PM Light the previously layed fire.

5:08 PM Back pan comes to a boil

5:15 PM Both pans now boiling full tilt. At this point, I will be firing the evaporator for 4 more hours, taking off approximately 8 - 10 times, changing the prefilter with each take-off and changing the flat filter with every 5 gallons of syrup. I will burn up about 2/3 of a cord of softwood and make about 10 gallons of syrup which I put up in 5 gal. plastic drums

9:15 PM End firing at this point. I wash the prefilters and filters with the pail of hot water that is leaning against my stack. SWMBO comes down to the sugarhouse and cleans of the scum layer on the inside of the evaporator and wipes off the outside of the pans. I label the syrup drums, write final tally on the wall.

9:30 PM Pull floats from pans and close off all valves. Remove sap filter from the holding tank, and sap filter from the truck. Walk up to the house with the all the filters & prefilters. SWMBO washes the sap filters and gives the syrup filters a final rinse.

9:45 PM Fall asleep in the recliner and miss the weather report.

Brent
04-09-2011, 10:18 AM
We haul sap in with tanks on the Gator and RTV. After the first trip I get a report from the wife about how much is in the tanks. A good day goes like this.

2:00 first sap comes in from the bush.
2:30 hit about 150 gallons in the raw sap tank and start the RO
4:00 go through the switching sides routing
4:15 start the propane flame thrower to preheat the pans
4:30 syrup pan hits 115 - 120 degrees Light the Fire
5:00 first draws through a two holer filter tank, remove pre-filters every 4 dumps through each one
10:30 if the gods have been smiling we have 20 gallons in the filter tank.
10:30 last firing.

Next morning
- the canner has been empty and the water jacket stays at 185 all day every day.
- pump syrup through the pressure filter with 1 micron filter and into the canner
- fill 150 - 300 bottles depending on size
- wash out the pressure filter and get ready for the next sap run.

Oh - at any time tend with visitors and sell some syrup and maple cream.

Maple Hobo
04-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Get up in morning and fire up the evaporator.
Fill the finishing pan
Shut down evaporator
(Just as the lines thaw turn on Vacuum pump.)
Fire finishing pan.
high pressure filter into canning station
Can syrup.
Clean up finish and canning equipment.
Let vacuum run until raw sap tank reaches 3/4 full or 5:00pm.
Start R.O. system.
Empty raw sap tank or untill I cant stay up anymore.
Run R.O. short rinse and then start R.O. long rinse/wash.

Or something like that.