PDA

View Full Version : infrared maps

MillbrookMaple
04-09-2011, 06:36 AM
I am looking for a source for infrared maps of the forest within a 20 mile radius of my Saphouse in the Catskills. I hope to be able to pin point maple groves around me so I can approach land owners and the NY DEP about leasing the trees. I know that each species of tree gives off a different infrared signature so I know there must be a way. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

gmcooper
04-09-2011, 08:51 AM
I have heard of something like this but no idea where to find it. I think the Feds use it to find pot plants. Maybe they can help? LOL

DrTimPerkins
04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I know that each species of tree gives off a different infrared signature so I know there must be a way. Any direction would be appreciated.

There isn't as much IR aerial photography done these days since satellites do pretty much the same thing.

The difference in IR signature between a maple and another hardwood stand would be very subtle. This would be especially the case in mixed stands. The difference between conifers and hardwoods is greater. Without a lot of training, calibration, and ground truthing, it probably isn't a real useful approach to finding nearby maple stands.

Your best bet would be to go and chat with the local state or county forester and see if they can clue you in to where some possible nearby stands for maple production might be.

802maple
04-09-2011, 12:22 PM
If you ride around right now they are pretty easy to see on the hills. For a little longer they show up as a light gray color. The only other tree that looks similar is the white oak. I can go out doors right now and see the light gray splotches on the side of Mount Grant and they are maples.

MillbrookMaple
04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll check with some of the local forestry guys. I can also check with the DEP and DEC and DMV. Just kidding about the last one. Seems here in the Catskills we have a lot of people interested in what people are doing with their land like where you can spread your cow manure and where your RO permeate ends up. I guess I might be able to see if they might be helpfull.

JuniperHillSugar
04-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd suggest visiting some local folks on a Saturday afternoon and talk to some families that have been there for a long time. Many hunters have seen sugar maple stands and may be able to give you some insight on who to talk to. Anyway you'll probably meet some nice people that will be good publicity for being a responsible sugarmaker. I'm a Land Surveyor and I've been spotting maple stands for years, NONE of which I have forgotten! Good Luck.

bees1st
05-07-2011, 06:31 PM
like 802 said, a ride around especially right now when they are in bloom. they're really easy to spot before the leaves are out. Their flowers have a very distinct shade of green.

maple flats
05-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Dr Tim is right. I have an Infrared map of my property. It was included in my forest Stewardship plan. The local State forester worked with me to develope the plan and it included an infrared map. Check the state forester who handles your area. He may have such maps. When you get it the reds are evergreens and they will show well, the hardwoods will not show any idea what species they are. I would ask around and drive the roads. Get to know sugar maples from a distance. I can usually spot a sugar woods from a fair distance but then you will need to do the leg work to get a feel for how good it might be. If you check after leave turn in the fall you will see better but then you have far less time to make the arrangements. Try an ad in your local paper or pennysaver. You just might find one.

3rdgen.maple
05-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I wish you the best of luck getting anywhere with the state and the DEC for getting any type of permission to tap a tree on state land. Been down this path for several years on 2 different sections of land. 1 section I own and pay taxes on but the state put a fishermans easement from the river bank to 200 feet back in the woods, Why a fisherman needs 200 feet to walk along a river is beyond me, and the other section is state land that borders mine that has zero access to for the public. The response after talking to a dozen state empoyees including the state forester, the DEC and some polotitians is, well to sum it up is it a process of paper work that will take years to complete to allow me to tap and it would open that land up to anyone who wants to put a tap a tree on it and in the mean time no way. Now after a couple years now the paper work still has not been submitted as they claim they have alot more pressing issues to take care of first. You know like sit in Albany deadlocked for 2 weekends figureing out what the state vegetable should be and then again for the state dog. Until and if Cuomo pushes the tapping bill through I wouldnt waste my time. Oh I might add that it was presented to me that if I do ever get permission that no tubing would be allowed only traditional buckets so it does not restrict wildlife movement and human access.

adk1
05-08-2011, 06:32 AM
MillbrookMaple

NYS has an yearly orthoimagery program where they fly sections of the state every year. This imagery has been done in the past with CIR (Color infra red). Fulton County has CIR from 2003 I beleive. Today they fly mostly in true color. CIR film is more expensive.

You can goto http://www.nysgis.state.ny.us/gateway/mg/ to view all of the imagery in NYS. IT is a great service to your county. All of the imagery is downloadable, and used primarily in GIS systems.

theschwarz1
02-07-2012, 08:48 AM
The IR imagery commonly available is usually not taken at a large enough scale (better pixel resolution) to identify tree species. That kind of IR photography is usually done for smaller custom projects such as for a particular forestry company and so forth. Typically your entire state IR imagery will not be helpful, nor will it be the raw IR imagery.

theschwarz1
01-24-2013, 09:45 PM
I will be testing IR photography using quadrocopters (UAV's). I will let you know what we end up with. Maybe we could help you with high resolution IR imagery very soon!

danno
12-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Has anybody had any success with this since originally posted? I was thinking about trying to do the same to locate maple bushes and then contact land owners in the area I'm looking. Some of the land holdings in the area are not road side, so drive-by's won't always tell me. Anybody good at locating maple stands by using google earth? I'm not great at it, but would describe the maple foliage as looking like a head of broccoli as compared to others woods.

madmapler
12-12-2016, 02:09 PM
The last 2 times Google earth updated the imagery in my area was just at the time in the spring when the maples were that chartreuse? green and most other hardwoods were still looking dormant. You can pick out a tree or a bush a mile away. You could look at Bing maps also.

Daveg
01-25-2017, 08:55 AM
I'd first zero-in on areas with slope if your plan is to use tubing. THEN, discern species of trees.

Ace_R
03-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Not to get too technical, but IR imagery is really only good for decerning between veg and non-veg or measuring relative plant health, in this particular situation. To differentiate between species of trees hyperspecral imagery is needed, which even with the high tech satellites we have today, do not give enough resolution to make a decent comparison between species or trees