PDA

View Full Version : Syrup on planes

steve J
04-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I was asked if syrup would travel well on airplanes or rather there is a chance that the seal would break in flight?

Dill
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I had a tin 1/2 gallon open up on me in checked baggage flying to AK. Syrup everywhere. I've flown to Europe with plastic qts and half gallons enclosed with plastic bags. Without a problem. Also have sent syrup to family members in the military with no issue. So plastic yes, tin no and bag it up.

red maples
04-08-2011, 04:05 PM
yeah smaller containers are best. I always advise customers flying to put them intot ziplock bag just in case.

buck3m
04-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I wonder if that tin failed because of changes in pressure or just the vibration of flight? I've flown with lots of (padded) glass bottles and jugs as checked baggage, and as carry on not so many years ago while it was still legal. Never had anything break or burst, but seems to me I had a bottle or two leak a while back. I usually fly with it inside a cooler with each bottle/jug/jar inside a ziplock.

Syrup sent as Priority Mail often goes by air, for what it's worth. I also pad those jugs well and put them in heavy duty ziplocks.

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I was asked if syrup would travel well on airplanes or rather there is a chance that the seal would break in flight?

Syrup (liquid) is no longer allowed in carry-on luggage unless purchased beyond the security check-points. If sealed and packed properly, there is no problem shipping syrup via air.

red maples
04-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Syrup (liquid) is no longer allowed in carry-on luggage unless purchased beyond the security check-points. If sealed and packed properly, there is no problem shipping syrup via air.

yeah pretty much nothing is allowed in carry-on 3 oz clear containers and like doc said unless it puchased after security. but you can check it with your luggage

sap retreiver
04-09-2011, 07:34 AM
NH to Idaho, my mason jars held up just fine

markct
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
a friend of mine took some of my syrup with her as a gift this past summer, 2 plastic pints, and she didnt say anything about it leaking or anything, but she did say that the security guy looked at it made sure it was factory sealed, ie the little tamperproof collar that is on the cap was intact. she said he then joked that they may have to confiscate it for taste testing at tommorows breakfast! im not sure if it was in carryon or checked bags tho.