PDA

View Full Version : New sugar shack

hicks road
04-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Wondering just what kind of weight i should take in to consideration when designing a floor structure, i was thinking about 20x16 with 2x10 joists for the floor and 1" ply wood for sheating. Do you think this would be sufficient or should i double up the joists where my 2x8 evaporator will sit.

CBOYER
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Go to SCHL CMHC web site and order the book "Canadian wood frame house construction 61010" you got all info and tables for floor, wall, span, etc.
a very usefull litle book for structure and also for everything in house construction/renovation..

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-09-2011, 07:04 AM
I am actually thinking about buying one of those Amish built sheds 12 x 20. They come with two lage skidder rails on the side but think you would have to shore up the center for the exact reason you are talking about. The weight of the arch would possibly make the floor system sag a little

Michael Greer
04-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Having just finished our season here, I would be very leery of having a wood floor in the sugarhouse. It's always wet, it's always sticky, and there are hot coals on the floor every five minutes. Concrete is resistant to all of these problems.

PerryW
04-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I first constructed my sugarhouse, but did not frame for the floor.

Next I made a 3.5' x 3.5' concrete footing for the front part of my 3x10 and another small footing for the back legs. I used cinder blocks to raise the evaporator to the proper height (and create a bigger volume for the ashes)

Then I just framed around the evaporator, but left an area of original ground to stand on when firing.