PDA

View Full Version : English Tin

vttsa
04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I came across this http://binghamton.craigslist.org/grd/2289354984.html
on craigslist, I'm a high school student and I'm trying to get a sugaring operation started at my school, without a huge budget. I see this is English tin, but the price seems to be right. What are the disadvantages of English tin?
Im in Vermont, is it even legal to sell syrup from an English tin pan?

Thanks for the help!

vttsa
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM
any information anyone has on English tin would be greatly appreciated.

GramaCindy
04-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Hello vttsa, did you do a search on this sight for "english tin?" I know that it has been talked about a bit here and there.

vttsa
04-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I did do a search for it, but I was unable to find anything. I am new here so perhaps I'm not looking in the correct place. Is there a specific thread you could refer me to?

Thanks

happy thoughts
04-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Here's the link to an earlier thread. Sounds like you should keep looking because there's a good chance it's lead soldered.

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=10876

It's nice to see young people interested in making syrup :) Good luck in your search!

Potters3
04-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Anything English Tin is 100% soldered with lead, and to make english tin they used lead to smooth it out. I would keep looking, not that you can't still make good syrup on English tin pans, but because of there age no one has used the stuff in a lot of years. And over time the pans tend to get tin holes in them. Look for a set of Stainless steel pans, if soldered after 1992 probably not lead soldered or welded.

Contact one of the equipment manufacturer they maybe willing to help

vttsa
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I have sent a letter to Leader so hopefully they can help.

spud
04-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Will the VMA buy syrup if made with pans that have lead? What about Bascom's?

Spud

PerryW
04-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Look for a set of Stainless steel pans, if soldered after 1992 probably not lead soldered or welded.

why the heck did the maple industry wait until 1992 to stop using lead solder? It ticks me off that my 1989 stainless steel evaporator has lead solder. I just assumed that the manufacturers were not idiots when I bought it.

spud
04-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I was hoping someone like Dr Tim could help answer our question about lead in pans. If a person plans to sell bulk will the buyer allow you having lead in your pans? If they don't allow lead anymore then all pans with lead are worthless.

Spud

jrthe3
04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
it all in how you use your lead pans i boiled for years with a tin flue pan and have my syrup regularly checked for lead and the lead count in under the lowest they can test to but i do't let sap sit in them longer then 12 hours if it looks like i not going to be boiling for a few days i drain i pan into a stainless drum

Southtowns27
04-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Ok, here's how I see it. Lead soldered pans are perfectly fine to use. The amount of lead that will leach into you sap/syrup will be very minute, probably undetectable. Residence time has a lot to do with it, that is how long the liquid is in contact with the lead solder. While boiling, that time is very short. So, that said, if you drain the pans after your'e done boiling, there is less contact time with the lead since the sap won't be just sitting there until you boil again. Also, niter, or sugar sand, will build up in the pans and cover the lead preventing it from leaching into the syrup. So, when you clean the pans, leave the niter on the solder joints. Problem solved.
But, to be extra sure, you could send a sample of syrup out to be tested for lead, but I'd bet it comes back clear. As long as you're aware of the potential for contamination, you can take proper steps to avoid it.
I would not rule out English Tin pans so long as they're in good shape and don't leak. They can also be bought far below the price of stainless. So, for someone who is just starting out, they can be a good value.