View Full Version : cleaning filter

chefchap
04-07-2011, 09:39 AM
hey there

was wondering if i can wash my wool filter in a washing machine
ty

danno
04-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I would not. You're bound to get some laundry soap residue on the filter, which would be bad. I'd just wash by hand with very hot or boiling water. Do not wring it out - it will tear the fibers. Hang on the line outside for a couple of days to get it very dry. Then store it in a clean, dry location till next year.

tbear
04-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I ran a felt filter through the washer (no soap)..then used it filtering syrup I had spent one day outside boiling down and one day inside finishing off..the filter gave the syrup a funky musty dirty sock kinda taste. Not that I've tried taste testing any dirty socks...but...welll.......Ted

mike z
04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't do it, for reason's mentioned. What I do is rinse it out good with running water then throw in it in a pot of boiling water for 5-10 min. and hang to dry.

KenWP
04-07-2011, 10:20 PM
I found that good pressure from a garden hose on the filter turned inside out cleaned it rather well. I tried in the sink in the house and made a mess that I was made to clean up. LOL.

802maple
04-08-2011, 05:02 AM
I used to have a old wringer washer and actually still do that has never seen soap as my father bought it for the sole purpose of washing sap filters. I can tell you that you can't beat the technology of that washer. You put boiling hot water in it, throw your filters in, put the gear shift into forward, drain the water, add fresh rinse water, shift her into forward again or reverse if you like and when you are done you just send the filters thru the wringer. None of that automated crap.

chefchap
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
sounds good ty all for your reponses

SeanD
04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm boiling mine now to give it a final cleaning for the season. After a really hot rinse last weekend it was still a bit stiff when dry. What is a reasonable amount of discoloration on Orlon filters? Mine is 2 seasons old with about 20 gallons through it (though it's probably more like 40 since I use it off the evap. and after finishing) and it's getting pretty dark down the bottom. Should I be getting to spanking-new white after cleaning?

Sean

backyard sugaring
04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Hoping someone will answer SeanD question about the color of the filter, when your done cleaning. Mine is still a little discolored. Thanks in advance for your help. Lee

PerryW
04-26-2011, 06:20 PM
I think we use the other kind of filter (not orlon) but my wife occasionally lets the filter soak in water with a little (unscented) bleach to keep them white. Rinse well afterwards.

BryanEx
04-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I wash orlon inside out in the washing machine using hot water but after running an empty load first to act as a rinse and then open them up to air dry. I find they stay soft with no discoloration or residues this way. I found I could never get them as clean by hand and they would dry like cardboard otherwise.