PDA

View Full Version : Wonky grates

argohauler
04-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Anybody have grates that look like this? They've been going like that for the last 4-5 yrs. and now they're done. One broke in 2 and 3 won't span the gap anymore. 4 need to be replaced. I have 1 spare. Atkinson's want $150 per grate. That seems like way too much to me. I always clean the ashes out at the start of every day I boil.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h280/Leah_Anne/ChrissCameraApril5014.jpg

My arch is also done. I would like to know what a ball park figure on rebuilding a 3 x 12 arch would be if possible. All the metal on the firebox and ramp needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if I like the angle bar that runs along the length either.

The cast above the left door also broke a few years ago.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h280/Leah_Anne/ChrissCameraApril5015.jpg

Bucket Head
04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Yup, those grates are a little tired, lol. Many guys on here have had pretty good luck with heavy angle iron grates that they made. Have the "v" of the angle facing the fire. That way the ash fills up the v and that helps to insulate the metal a little bit. Forced draft under the grates help too. That provides cooling air to them. You could also use firebricks to replace the grates. Guys have drilled holes in them for draft air and installed them. As for the arch front, do you want to try and save it or just replace it? Saving it would'nt be too hard. Take a piece of flat stock (plate) and drill some holes in it and the arch. Bolt it together and then, and this is a must, install the blanket or archboard insulation on the back of the front. Chances are if the front was insulated from the start it would not have cracked. The insulation will protect the front and the repair and will prevent it from the constant expanding and contracting the high heat and cooling creates. Insulating the entire arch will protect the new angle and sides that your considering replacing too.

Steve

argohauler
04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Yup, those grates are a little tired, lol. Many guys on here have had pretty good luck with heavy angle iron grates that they made. Have the "v" of the angle facing the fire. That way the ash fills up the v and that helps to insulate the metal a little bit. Forced draft under the grates help too. That provides cooling air to them. You could also use firebricks to replace the grates. Guys have drilled holes in them for draft air and installed them. As for the arch front, do you want to try and save it or just replace it? Saving it would'nt be too hard. Take a piece of flat stock (plate) and drill some holes in it and the arch. Bolt it together and then, and this is a must, install the blanket or archboard insulation on the back of the front. Chances are if the front was insulated from the start it would not have cracked. The insulation will protect the front and the repair and will prevent it from the constant expanding and contracting the high heat and cooling creates. Insulating the entire arch will protect the new angle and sides that your considering replacing too.

Steve

Thanks for the reply. I guess you would get the heaviest angle iron you could get? And for spacing you would need? And would you need spacers to put between each angle iron or not?

The arch was never insulated in it's life. It was fairly rusty when I bought it. It's around an 87 or so. I bought it for the 97 season.

My uncle has had good luck without insulation as well. He's rebuilt a few derrilect arches. 2 of them are going 50 years strong.

My brick job wasn't good enough. The mortar started to come away from the brick.

I'll be insulating the new arch.

danno
04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Between your grates and my grates I bet we could make one good set:) I now use drilled firebrick for grates and they work great. If you're looking for some old/straight grates, pm me and let me know the length.

jmayerl
04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
I made grates from 1.5x1.5" angle steel 3/16"think. v upwards and angle in the ends to hold them together. Cost me $15 for the angle and cutting it, then took 5 minutes to weld it together. ran all year and they look the same.

Bruce L
04-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Argohauler,what length are your grates?Ours aren't near quite as bad,actually pretty decent shape.I am in the market for a new high efficiency evaporator,if I should manage to get the funding you may be interested in ours if they will work for you.
Bruce

argohauler
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Pretty sure they are 3 feet long. It's a 3 foot firebox, but I'll tape them to make sure.

Thanks for that info jmayerl.

So the fire brick with the holes in it. They have to sit on some steel of some sort I guess? And to make them work properly, do they need forced air?

Forced air I can't do unless I want to run my generator way back in the bush and it guzzles gas. 2300 watt 5HP Briggs and Scrap Iron.

KenWP
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
There is a place here in Quebec has a whole room full of grates used. I used the racks out of a fridge for grates and they never seem to bend YET after 3 years.

markct
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
the angle iron grates work great, the angle iron on mine is only 1/8 thick and after 3 years they still have some of the paint on the bottom of the v part, the ash sitting in the v is the key, thats what insulates it, they are still perfectly straight and have many years left in them im sure!

danno
04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Pretty sure they are 3 feet long. It's a 3 foot firebox, but I'll tape them to make sure.

Thanks for that info jmayerl.

So the fire brick with the holes in it. They have to sit on some steel of some sort I guess? And to make them work properly, do they need forced air?

Forced air I can't do unless I want to run my generator way back in the bush and it guzzles gas. 2300 watt 5HP Briggs and Scrap Iron.

I used 3 rows T iron laying with the flat side down. Fire brick runs beween the iron and is supported on the edges of the brick by the iron. I've had this set up for 3 years now with lots of forced air. No warping, no broken bricks. I imagine it would work without air. My old grates were so warped, I was losing wood falling through the grates well before it was ash.

bees1st
04-08-2011, 06:24 PM
danno -- what size are your holes? and how many per brick, how many cfm is your blower?

argohauler
04-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Went to the shanty and measured the one good grate. It's 3' long.

supersapper
04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
how big of holes do you drill in them? i did a grate with plate steel with 60 holes, 18"x 14". ash still plugged it. i am going to go with an angle iron grate next. i am not using a blower now so that may explain the plugging issue.

argohauler
04-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Well the angle iron grates failed. They held up for about a week of boiling and then i could see the 3 of them starting to warp. At the end of our shortened season one kept falling out. I guess you need the forced air for them.

I see where I can buy some used cast grates for $50 each or a Mennonite dealer can make some out of heavy steel for between $50 and $75 each.