PDA

View Full Version : Standing Dead Wood

PerryW
04-07-2011, 07:13 AM
I was getting nervous with only 3 cords of slabs left so for the first time in 22 years, went hunting for wood DURING the season.

Tried to dig out a slab pile I had next to the woodshed, but no way... WAY too much snow and ice to bother with; so went cruising with the truck for dry wood.

I picked out four softwoods and cut them down, (one white spruce, one balsam fir and two white pines, all around 10-12" with the bark falling off.)

Boy did they burn great! Probably just as good as my pine slabs.

SSFLLC
04-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Hi Perry, that is what we were doing here. Then the rain started and put a end to that. But you are correct in it burning as good as the wood you dried all year to boil with. Good luck Keith

PerryW
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Just cut up & split another 1/2 cord from one 16" fir in the neighbors yard. I think I am all set now, especially seeing the high temp for tuesday is 70.

Bucket Head
04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I've burned quite a bit of dead and standing elm wood in the last few years. It stands like that forever it seems, and burns great.

Steve

dgp219
04-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm in the same boat in Hancock, Perry. Found some standing white pine and red oak that got me through last weekend. 50 gal. from 120 taps in three weeks! Since Monday I've been taking sap to a big operator in town in trade for equipment I'll need next year. This season sure kicked the sh#*! out of last season! Hope you make it through the weekend.

mike z
04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm trying to burn "green" W. Ash. It burns ok if I split it small enough, and toss some of the juiciest center pieces aside.

PerryW
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm trying to burn "green" W. Ash. It burns ok if I split it small enough, and toss some of the juiciest center pieces aside.

I just cut up a bunch of green, white ash too, but my wife is burning it all in the house woodstove.

Gravel
04-08-2011, 06:57 AM
I am doing the same thing, got so much more sap than last year that the wood supply took a whooping!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I try not to cut anything but dead standing hardwood and sometimes they hit the ground before I get to them but they work about as good, just rot a lot quicker.

maple flats
04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Just cut up & split another 1/2 cord from one 16" fir in the neighbors yard. I think I am all set now, especially seeing the high temp for tuesday is 70.

Did the neighbor know? You want to be careful if others might report you.

maple flats
04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I cut only solid wood, live or dead. The only soft wood I use is slab from my sawmill. I only went thru about 35-40% of what I had ready and my season went well. I'll have a count early next week.
Dave

PerryW
04-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Did the neighbor know? You want to be careful if others might report you.

No problem. I cut them at night and I had my silencer on my chainsaw.