PDA

View Full Version : Do soldered pans break easy?

philkasza
04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I have a 5x12 1978 Small Brothers evaporater and I was wondering how hard it is to break the solder.

brookledge
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Do you mean break fittings off? Because it would be realitively easy to snap off a connector from the flue pan to the syrup pan or something like that but otherwise the solder itself shouldn't be that weak to break it as you questioned.
Keith

seclark
04-07-2011, 06:14 AM
do you want to break it or just wonder how it will stand up.if it lasted this long I guess it's strong enough.That being said I think how you work with it is how strong it will be.

OhioMapleMan
04-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Being a 1978 it will probably have lead solder in the pan. The small brother’s equipment that I got rid of from that era had lead solder. It is actually more flexible than the lead free solders are. Rigid connections between pans will have a tendency to crack if some type of a flex connector is not used. Contraction and expansion of joints over time may form a crack. This is usually an easy fix with the correct flux for ss, large iron, (not a torch) and correct lead free solder. Last summer I removed all the lead solder from two ss steam hoods and redid all the joints with lead free solder.