PDA

View Full Version : Warm Weather has me spooked!

Daren
01-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I have been catching up on new posts and read that many of you folks down south have already been tapping and hoarding that precious nectar. Up here in Northern Vermont, the weather as of late has been perfect for a good run, and I heard yesterday that a few operations have already given in and tapped some of their trees. The report is that they have been having some success with this early tap and that a few barrels have already been filled. Have any of you out there heard similar stories? I am getting pretty wigged out with all the warm weather. Is this going to ruin the season in March? This is only my 3rd year tapping and I just want to hear something positive from someone about the upcomming (or already here) maple season. I don't even mind if you lie to me! Especially if the truth will hurt! :cry:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Daren,

I am about 1000 miles south of you and I haven't tapped yet and hope to wait until at least Feb 4th or 11th. The next 10 days here are supposed to be fairly cold and hopefully the forecast is right. Don't worry, no need to tap yet at least where you are! :D :wink:

wdchuck
01-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Darren - I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. We almost always have a January thaw...........That was it! Check Accuweather.com for a good 2 week forecast.

Russell Lampron
01-25-2006, 11:34 AM
If last year was any indication of what will happen this year we should be getting a cold snap any time now. Last year we had a couple of warm weeks in February that had everyone running for their tapping bits and drills. Thats when the cold weather came in for about 4 weeks and it didn't thaw out until the middle of March.

If we get the cold spell at the begining of February the thaw should come just in time for sugaring season. At least that what I'm hoping for.

Russ

MASSEY JACK
01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Daren, Two sugarmakers have told me that someone in Putney VT has tapped about 30 percent of his taps and is making dark syrup because his sugar content is only 1.3 percent so he has to boil a long time. I am no where near ready so I certainly need to have real winter move in for a little while so I can finish preparations.

Jack

Splashdam
01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
I am officially getting excited this year and geared up with a 2x4 small bros. raised flue. Having NO experience, I too was wondering about when to tap. I spent 3 hours with a 7th generation big producer in Potter County, PA. His advice for our area, and I believe him, is not to tap until the first full moon in February. Period.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Splashdam,

Where exactly are you at?? That sounds about right for PA? :D

Daren
01-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey splash...I bow hunted Potter County many years back...you are in bow hunting heaven! I did look at the 10 day on weather.com and it definately looks a bit better than what has been going on so far. I am itching to go with the new shack and preheater. I am pretty sure that the pre heater needs to be a bit longer, but I can completely swing this thing out of the way when I have all the sap in the pans. I don't think I have changed much since the days waiting for santa on Christmas eve....