PDA

View Full Version : 21ga stainless steel

John c
04-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Today I was at the scrapyard and scored 2 4'X4 sheets of 21ga. SS. They have never been uses because the plastic film is still on them! My question is, is 21ga. Thick enough to make a 2X3 flat pan out of?
Also, can anybody tell me what ga. SS The sides of an evaporator are made of?
Thanks,

John c.

supersapper
04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
generally they are made with one piece. your 4x4 sheet would make a 2x3 pan with 6" sides, one piece. less welding-warping as only the 4 verticle seams need to be welded. a skilled welder can piece one together:D

TF Maple
04-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm trying to make a divided pan out of 24 gauge but the divisions will give it some support or stiffness you won't have in a flat pan. The weight of sap and syrup might be tough on your flat pan, but we use what we have or can find so I say try it.

seclark
04-07-2011, 06:06 AM
my pan is 36 x 36 x 5 with no dividers 24 ga. and I have no problems.Mine is no lead soldered though.21 ga. is a thickness I have not come across in all my years of working with metal,20 or 22 I have seen,unless it is not domestic.Although over the years the standards have changed a lot.

John c
04-07-2011, 07:35 AM
my pan is 36 x 36 x 5 with no dividers 24 ga. and I have no problems.Mine is no lead soldered though.21 ga. is a thickness I have not come across in all my years of working with metal,20 or 22 I have seen,unless it is not domestic.Although over the years the standards have changed a lot.

Perhaps I'm wrong on what ga. It is. It is 1/32" which converts to 0.0313 or 0.7938mm. Maybe one of you fine folks could correct me please? It is a bit thinner than a buffet pan that I have!

seclark
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
John, I checked my older pan which is 20 ga. and it measures 1/32 so more than likely it is 20 ga. which is fine.The older pan was welded.

John c
04-07-2011, 10:10 AM
John, I checked my older pan which is 20 ga. and it measures 1/32 so more than likely it is 20 ga. which is fine.The older pan was welded.

Excellent, thank you very much! Mine too will be welded. Now I'm wondering what size to make my pan? I am planning on putting a block arch together for next year, so I'm wondering if the pan actually sits down in the arch or does the pan just sit on top with the sides up out of the arch? I've always boiled on a natural gas stove, so an arch will be new to me. My hopes are to have 2 pans, one as a preheater and one to do all the boiling! Should they both be the same size?
Thanks,

John c.

seclark
04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
John,by most of the pictures I see on this site that use a block arch the pans are not recessed but on top.I personally would want them on top as it would be easier to pull them off in case you had to.It would boil better if recessed but harder to get out if there was still liquid in it and as the sap went down theres a bigger chance the syrup would scorch at the liquid level.As far as the preheater pan goes I guess what ever works for you is fine.Since you have the materials why not the same size.Were you going to put in any dividers or just flat pans.Good luck with what ever you decide.

John c
04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
John,by most of the pictures I see on this site that use a block arch the pans are not recessed but on top.I personally would want them on top as it would be easier to pull them off in case you had to.It would boil better if recessed but harder to get out if there was still liquid in it and as the sap went down theres a bigger chance the syrup would scorch at the liquid level.As far as the preheater pan goes I guess what ever works for you is fine.Since you have the materials why not the same size.Were you going to put in any dividers or just flat pans.Good luck with what ever you decide.

I was going to go with a flat pan since I honestly have no idea how the dividers even work, so I really wouldn't know how to design it! I just figured a flat pan would be more familiar and would make the transition from a natural gas stove to a wood fired unit more managable until I get ready to upgrade from there. Just trying to keep it simple I guess!?
Thanks.