PDA

View Full Version : Orlon filters...

SDdave
04-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone has cut the orlon filters to make 2 or 3 out of 1. I have a the cone style and was wondering if one could make it into a flat. I didn't know if the loose fibers on the ends would transfer along or not, just looking for anyones experiences.

SDdave

I forgot...
You boil the filter to "tighten" the fibers. Have a few beers until they dry completly. Then filter hot. Is there anything that I have missed in the steps?

GramaCindy
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
SD DAVE, I have never heard of boiling the filters..interesting. I did prewash mine and have used it once. I have a flat filter that I use in a neat little stainless basket thing. Worked great so far. I can only home I cleaned it well enough for the next batch.

SDdave
04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
You know I thought I read that on here about boiling it. I searched but now I can't find the post. Am I losing my mind? (Rhetorical).

SDdave

fishman
04-06-2011, 07:45 PM
You must be. You're a maple syrup maker.:rolleyes:

CBOYER
04-06-2011, 07:50 PM
My wife cut an cone orlon filter, and sew to make 3 small ones. she add some lining on sews as per original, i used them for last filtering.
I alway moist filters, and hang them in steam over pan on a clothesline before filtering.

KenWP
04-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I find the cone filter to be just about the right size.I usually fill it full plus maybe another fill besides every time I take off syrup.I would not want it smaller and bigger like the ones they have for the big guys would be a pain to clean.