PDA

View Full Version : $2,000 to start a hobby???

Starting Small
04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
This is my first year sugaring and I have come to a conclusion. To start out in this hobby the right way and maybe sell a little syrup seems like will take about $2,000. Correct me if I am wrong or if these items I do not need with 50 or less taps.

2 X 4 evaporator/pan -$1,200.00
65 Half Fire Bricks- $115.00
Cement- $20
Filter Tank- $200.00
Hydrometer Cup- $20
50 Taps/buckets at $7.00/ea -$350

Total $1,905 X 6% Sales tax (CT) = $2,019.30

Just seems a bit discouraging to try and start up with all that cost. Right now I have a block arch and 2 catering pans. I want to expand a bit but I do not have the time to stand outside on a block arch boiling at 3 gallons per hour every 3 days. Am I crazy or is this what I really am looking at to simply have 50 taps? Thanks!

Kev
04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
well you could build a barrell evap. and not have as much in it. but yes you would still have the pan cost
you couple put a couple hundred in a homemade RO system and turn your 3 gal per hour now into more like 15 or 20 per hour (evap rate would remain the same) but your effective rate would be way up. in fact as high or higher than the run of the mill, flat pan 2x4.

:lol:or you could go get in gocart racing for a year then come back and say wow 2 grand what cheap hobby :lol:

brookledge
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
You should be able to save the sales tax since it is agriculture
That will save some of your money
Keith

Gary R
04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
If your looking to run 50 taps, that's probably a fair estimate. I'd sell you my evaporator (12-15gph), 50 buckets and taps for $1200.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-05-2011, 08:51 PM
This is my first year sugaring and I have come to a conclusion. To start out in this hobby the right way and maybe sell a little syrup seems like will take about $2,000. Correct me if I am wrong or if these items I do not need with 50 or less taps.

Cement- $20
Filter Tank- $200.00
Hydrometer Cup- $20

Just seems a bit discouraging to try and start up with all that cost. Right now I have a block arch and 2 catering pans. I want to expand a bit but I do not have the time to stand outside on a block arch boiling at 3 gallons per hour every 3 days. Am I crazy or is this what I really am looking at to simply have 50 taps? Thanks!

you for got the hydrometer for syrup (sugar not needed) gathering tank, holding tank, filters: felt and pre, draw off bucket of some kind, wood, BEER, or Whiskey:D, sap pump, sap pump hose, gas for pump maybe oil if two stroke, forced air, aof, auf, duct work, valves, did Ifor get anything starting out:o

Starting Small
04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks Gary for the offer, I am probably going to take a few months and determine how deeply I want to get into this. I appreciate it though. I am also a beekeeper so I am hoping that I can make enough from my honey sales this Summer to get myself a respectable operation. Thanks to everyones help and advice so far!

JuniperHillSugar
04-05-2011, 09:21 PM
You could get a very cool powered parachute for $5000-10000. But mama and the kids can't share in the fun. Within 5 years you'd probably have a couple of broken legs and be left with a few hundred pounds of tangled aluminum. As for a legacy to leave your kids, Maple Sugaring is simply good , safe, clean fun.

My math on this Hobby is as follows: I spent about $2500 to get set up with a new Mason 2x4, 200 used buckets, covers, spiles, holding tank, filters, scoop, hydrometers, etc. I set it up in an existing building. My goal is 25 gallons of syrup per year. I value my syrup at no less than $50/gallon. I don't sell bulk and I don't bottle in full gallons. If I produce 25 gallons per year @ $50/gal, then I produce $1250 in value each year. I should "pay back" the whole thing after I've made 50 gallons.

Now the reality is that I made 12.5 gallons on year one. I made 31 gallons in year two. So I'll be into year three before I recover my initial cost. Furthermore, if I sell only half of my product, it will only take about 5 years to completely pay for itself. I expect if this was a commercial enterprise this might not be good enough, especially considering we're not counting our time here. However, I expect to be making syrup with the same equipment for decades to come. In any case this is a Hobby.

If you are limited at 50 taps, then you could hope to produce 12 gallons each year. So at $2000 spent, you would have to produce about 40 gallons to get paid back (in value). That would take you about 4 years.

New ski boats and motorcycles will get the ladies, "dogs love trucks", but they all use gasoline and cost more than $2000. Go for it.

PerryW
04-05-2011, 11:13 PM
If you have any possibility of expanding beyond 50 taps, get an evaporator with a flued back pan. Cut out the wife's beer if necessary to get the extra money.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Ok with my S.A. comment earlier done just having fun. Start small and add a little to it each year until you get to where you would want to be. I started in 2000 with a brand new unit and since then I am going to guess with everything I have bought I'm probably around $7,000. It is a great hobby to get involved with.

adk1
04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Trust me, I have done all the calculations that you have done. I figured low at $2,500, for the same evap that your talking about (WF Mason 2x4). I would expect it to come in closer to $3,000 when I am done. Luckily I was given a 225gal Polyethelene tank so that redced my budget by $300 or so. I also already ahve the sugarhouse (current garage) but I will need to make some modifications to it. The best way to start out is to build your own evap out of materials that are much cheaper etc. Personally, I am not interested in doing this so I opted to save another year and purchase an actual evaporator for next spring startup

Dill
04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Start small and grow. I built my first evap from scrounged parts. A woodstove and a barrel, and a couple pans I found. Bought a 2x4 the next year, boiled on it and resold it for about the same money. Bought 400 used buckets at an auction and was able to resell most of them. Got a good deal on a 2x6 and this year started spending money on vaccum. Just keep an eye out.

Southtowns27
04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Keep an eye on the classifieds section here, Craigslist, and look in your local paper for farm auctions. You can find very nice used equipment at a fraction of the cost of new. For instance all of our buckets/lids/spiles came from a farm auction. I think it worked out to about $2.50 for a bucket/lid/spile. They're 4 gallon galvanized wheeling buckets and cast Soule spouts. You still have 10 months to accumulate everything so take it slow and keep an eye out for deals.

Starting Small
04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you all, good idea on the farm auction. I will definitely keep an eye out there. Thanks!

BarrelBoiler
04-06-2011, 11:17 AM
of course you don't have to go brand spanky new ask around check with your beekeeping friends check local swap papers and auctions, estate sales, yard sales I-net sites etc

Starting Small
04-06-2011, 06:23 PM
has it been your experiences that people sell equipment throughout the summer or only right before and after the season? I will have the cash from the honey sales in late summer.

HandsomRiver
04-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Cement- $20
Filter Tank- $200.00
Hydrometer Cup- $20

I think you are off on the price of cement !

metalhead62
04-06-2011, 07:12 PM
here is a viable option i did bought taps(39 cents apiece) a roll of tubing(63$) and a 140 5 gal plastic pails(check the bakeries amd delis around u free?) i paid 75 cents and 50$ for a 275 gal gathering tank i have a buddy boil it for me 4 helping him but standard is they will boil 4 half most any in the area will do that take that money and save till u have enough to buy an evaporator that way to u get the gathering(time spent and method) all down pat before u have to worry about boiling it off and as far as money spent try to find a hobby that is cheaper and u have a good chance at making a little money back

Monster Maples
04-07-2011, 09:42 PM
"Cut out the wife's beer if necessary to get the extra money." Geez, where were you when I started Perry? From now on she is cut off, I see the new RO coming faster now :lol:

Kev
04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
"Cut out the wife's beer if necessary to get the extra money." Geez, where were you when I started Perry? From now on she is cut off, I see the new RO coming faster now :lol:

now your beer consumption will go up, cause shes not bringing you supper anymore :lol:

Starting Small
02-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Thank you to everyone's advice over the past year. I was able to keep my eyes open and got what I feel was a decent deal on a mason 2 X 3 and with the money I saved because it was used, I put back into adding a blower, arch paper, hydrometer, thermometer, fire bricked, all told I have about $1,000 for the evaporator and its accessories. I decided to go down the road of tubing and spent about $80 for 500 ft of tube, 25 tree saver spoutt and 25 tees. I am getting my wood for free from dead trees nearby and pallets from the local high school schop class. I am also getting as many 5 gallon and 3 gallon food grade buckets for free as I can use from the school system. So all told I am at about $1,100. Granted I do not have a filter tank (not exactly sure what I am doing for filtering)and I do not have 50 taps (25) but overall I am pretty impressed for getting away as I have so far. My hope now is that my evaporator will either be able to handle expanding a bit on taps or will be able to be sold and get my money back for it and I can reinvest next year. All that to say...It can be done!

adk1
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
that it can be! nice job!

Ed R
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
What type of extractor/canner do you have for your bees? I plan on using my small two frame extractor with the basket in it as a base for my cone filter/pre filter. I'll draw off, into mason jars, then place into a water bath on my stove, then check temperature to make sure its over 180, put on lids and if all goes well they will seal. This is the first year for me making syrup on my own at my house but I have been making syrup my whole life at the family farm. I have about $1500 into my set up with a used leader 2x6 drop flue evaporator. I didn't have to pay for buckets, covers or spiles.

spencer11
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
if your still looking for something to filer with check out the one i made. it cost me about $40 with out the burner. mine is the round one. http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?15477-homemade-canner-filter-finisher

spencer

Ren
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
That sounds good! For filtering, just buy a few pre filters and a cone filter. Then make a stand for the cone filter out of scrap wood and filter your syrup in to a clean bucket. A little off topic. How are your bees doing this winter?

Starting Small
02-02-2012, 08:07 PM
That is a really good idea using the extractor, I should have thought about that myself. Actually the bees are doing very well, much better than last winter. I have 14 hives, of which 5 are nucs and every one of them are still alive. If they can get through the next month we should be in good shape.

Daren
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
I have enjoyed reading this thread to see it develop over the year. Many if not most of us have built, scrapped, tweaked and crafted ways to pursue this maple addiction. Each season we find a way to pass on our old ways and upgrade a part of the process and then 7 or 8 years down the road, we find our operations have evolved into something we take pride in. I for one have always seen this as a great hobby. One that many families were lucky to have been born into. I keep a bit of old with some buckets and a bit of new with lines and vac. Starting small is right...if for nothing than to see if it is labor or if it is labor of love so to speak. The honest answer is that no matter what, a nice small setup that most will end up with anyway will run about 5 grand. How long it takes to spend that amount will result in memories of long days, late nights, rough mornings and memories that can be shared with great friends and family. Spring is a time of promis of great things to come and getting out there to smell, hear and taste it all is what this hobby is all about. Welcome to the most rewarding hobby around. I hope your boils are shared with people that enrich you as much as you them. Salute.

Ren
02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I am glad to here that the girls are still alive. I have 8 hives , 5 of them are nucs. All mine are doing well too. Like you said if they can make it through the next month or two we will definitley be in good shape! Not so sure about this years sugaring season though.

flathill
02-03-2012, 07:32 AM
I never realized all the equipment and knowledge that maple sugar making required. I'm reading the Maple Producers Manual
presently. I may not be able to tap this year as I don't think I can be ready, but with proper planning and gathering equipment or buiding equipment I will attemp this maple hobby over the next few years.
I need to find a evaporator or start to build one. Redo my building to convert to a surgar house and start some timber stand improvement (thinning around the maples and making some trails.

happy thoughts
02-03-2012, 07:44 AM
@adk1 WOOHOO! You're up and running! :) Can't wait to hear of your progress! Best of luck this season!

CTfarm
02-03-2012, 09:43 AM

Cement- $20
Filter Tank- $200.00
Hydrometer Cup- $20

I have about 2 grand in too for my first year.

markct
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Glad you found a setup reasonable that suits you well. Let me just say that 5 years ago i decided that i wanted to make a little syrup just as a hobby, i made a barrel type stove from a large propane tank and a stainless pan from the skin of a commercial freezer door. Didnt wanna spend much just to make a lil syrup for myself, built me a 7ft by 11ft sugarhouse for about 250 bucks with salvage lumber and roofing. Fast forward to this year, i have added onto the sugarhouse 4 times and now have a 2 x8 evap and a 250 gph ro, a bunch of stainless milk tanks, vacuum systems, filter press etc! tommorow morning i am going to pick up a 1650 gallon stainless milk truck tank i bought to store sap. I still think back at the first year when it would take all weekend to boil off a 55 gal drum of sap! now thats gone in less than 20 minutes!

Beweller
02-03-2012, 09:41 PM
To the best of my memory, my out-of-pocket expenses for my first sugaring was under $20 at today's prices. Biggest expense, two steel drip pans at $8.50 each. A block arch made of salvaged cement block. Home-made spiles and about $1 worth of 1/4 inch PE tubing. Collection containers 2-1/2 gallon distilled water containers salvaged from trash. Chain saw available from friend for cutting wood.

I think I made 1/2 gallon of syrup. As my bush was 75 miles from home and I had a full time job, well, not bad.

pamaple
02-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Last year was my first year I bought an operation that my grandfather had started in the early 90's but had been sitting unused for about 10 years. I bought a king leader 3x12 evaporator and some other various equipment like tanks and buckets and a filter press for $5,000. I spent another $2,000 on rolls of tubing, spiles and main line to tap 1,500 taps. This year my wife thinks I have lost my mind because I spent $15,000 to build a 30x40 pole building for a brand new sugar shack and building a new brick arch for my evaporator pans. I am hoping to recover my money in 5 or 6 years. It doesn't take long to get wrapped up in a bunch of money but if you do it right you can use the equipment for a long time and it's a ton of fun and good times.

Tithis
02-03-2012, 11:56 PM
I was actually talking to someone earlier and estimated how much I've actually spent so far with this hobby, about 276. 176$ of it was spend on taps, buckets and covers, the other 100$ was spent on wood, and stuff to build my cheapo block evaporator.

Minus the value of the syrup I made last year and I'm only about 220 in the hole and I see no reason why I couldnt make that back with what I'm tapping this year.

1badsapper
02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Thank you to everyone's advice over the past year. I was able to keep my eyes open and got what I feel was a decent deal on a mason 2 X 3 and with the money I saved because it was used, I put back into adding a blower, arch paper, hydrometer, thermometer, fire bricked, all told I have about $1,000 for the evaporator and its accessories. I decided to go down the road of tubing and spent about $80 for 500 ft of tube, 25 tree saver spoutt and 25 tees. I am getting my wood for free from dead trees nearby and pallets from the local high school schop class. I am also getting as many 5 gallon and 3 gallon food grade buckets for free as I can use from the school system. So all told I am at about $1,100. Granted I do not have a filter tank (not exactly sure what I am doing for filtering)and I do not have 50 taps (25) but overall I am pretty impressed for getting away as I have so far. My hope now is that my evaporator will either be able to handle expanding a bit on taps or will be able to be sold and get my money back for it and I can reinvest next year. All that to say...It can be done!

I don't have a filter tank either. We use a stainless steal milk strainer. These are easy to find locally or there is a ton of them on e bay.

Bucket Head
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
All of the above is the beauty of sugaring. You can spend as much or as little as you want and enjoy the experience. Like markct, we too have traveled a long way from where we started. We started small and little by little expanded. And theres nothing wrong with keeping an operation small either. We were 'small' for many years before we decided to spread our wings a little bit.

Pamaple said it best with the last sentence of his post. The only thing I would add is that a profit can be made from this hobby, when done right.

Going back to the original "$2000 to start a hobby" title, how much does one spend on any other type of hobby? Golf? Snowmobiles? Atv's? Motorcycles? How much did that bass boat cost? Motorhomes and camper trailers are not cheap. All of these hobbies, along with many that I did not list, are all losing propositions. You don't make any money at those. But sugaring can bring a return regardless of how big or small you are. I consider money spent on sugaring as money well spent.

Steve

Daren
02-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Totally agree buckethead. Money well spent. And with any luck, not needing replacement for many years to come.

Peepers
02-07-2012, 06:49 AM
markct - you'll have to post pics of the sap truck, your evolution is impressive! :) Bucket head you nailed it - IMO this is my one hobby that could be profitable if I wanted it to be. I enjoy making and modifying stuff so I do as much as I can myself. While I suscribe to the "done is better than perfect" approach, by nature I'm always striving for better tools and processes.

When I first got into this some wiseman suggested that it is a never-ending cycle of needing a bigger/better evap to handle all the sap then needing more trees to feed the bigger evap, rinse & repeat...

Re-building my little garden shed to incorporate a sugar shack keeps getting pushed down the priority list so every spring I still take over our fire pit area, stack up cement blocks and cook on that. When not being a syrup arch, the blocks are multi-purpose and serve as a good windbreak/shack for my electric bullet smoker.

smokeyamber
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Break even ? Maybe if you go really large, though doubtful there as well. Heck I did the barrel arch thing, borrowed buckets, got cheap barrels, recycled old taps, sold junk on Ebay to finance... if I could build it for nothing I did it. I still will never break even cause I use or give away my syrup. Hobbies don't generally break even and this one is an ADDICTION so it definitely does not :evil: I guess if we were trying to justify it to someone who does not sugar great, but we all know the TRUTH ;) You will upgrade and find more stuff you need to make this a fun hobby and as long as you don't get too focused on making a buck I guarantee the money will be well spent and you will hopefully sugar for many years to come !

I just tell my wife...it keeps happy during mud season... she is good with that alone, that's why I love her :cool:

somershobby
02-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Hi guys, This is my second year doing this. I decided to do this with my kids last year for a end of winter project ( they were having vegetable garden withdrawls.) so i went out with a 3/8 drill had some plastic 3/8ths plastic nipples 3/8ths tubeing and six 5 gallon buckets. We started late in the season but ended up with about 55 gallons of sap. used a 5 gallon pot on a propane clam boiler and ended up with about a gallon of product. it was great and the kids loved it the most important part was the time with the kids. my cost last year was about $100 (mostly propane). This year I am just starting and doing it the same way. I would have liked to go a bit bigger but being unemployed doesnt look like this year it will happen. Have fun is the most important thing to me.

Bucket Head
02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Have fun again doing it on the cheap this year! There will be more years for possible expansion. And maybe in the future, after your kids are bitten hard by the maple bug, you'll just have to walk around the state-of-the-art sugarhouse that they/you built and "supervise" the operations! Dad will always be Director Of Operations also. Make sure thats on your nametag! Good luck this season.

Steve

3fires
02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I boiled off 12 gph on the evap in my UTube vids below. With fuel oil tank, hardware, bricks, buckets, holding tanks, bottles, taps, 500 ft. of tubing, hydrometers, thermometer, cup, filters, gas driving around hauling sap, and even "buying" a cord of wood at 150.00, and whatever else I forgot to mention I was all in at 700.00 for the season and made just under 12 gallons of syrup. I used 3 steam table pans for my setup.

This year my only cost will be bottles, gas and wood.