PDA

View Full Version : evaporator thermometer

nmerritt
01-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Looking for advise on what thermometer to use on my new setup. Should I go with the dial thermometers that screw into the side of my pans, or a digital one that clamps to the side? What is more accurate? I try and finish my syrup in the pan. I then reheat, filter and bottle the next day.

maple flats
01-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I am under the belief that digital is more sensitive but that the screw in is imersed in the boiling sap/syrup better. Can you put a digital in the side tap? However this is really only achedemic since you re-heat to can the next day, with that being the case that is where your final density check should be, make sure you get the temp right to read or have an Accu-cup for best results. Check out MapleGuys.com , link in upper corner of page

brookledge
01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I would say that the digital will be more accurate and easier to use in the long run. Check to see what the accuracy is in the digital thermometer, a real cheap one may have a higher % up or down than a more expensive one.
I have a markland auto draw off an I have a barometer in the sugarhouse so I can keep changing the drawoff temp as needed. On my previous evaporator I had 6" round thermometer and I finally gave up on always ajusting it to boiling point of water. I only used it to get a rough idea of when it was syrup then would go by the hydrometer.
Keith