PDA

View Full Version : Syrup stolen in Vermont

DaveB
04-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I saw this AP story and felt bad for these guys. I guess someone stole 120 gallons (three 40 gallon drums) from Enosburg and Fairfield sugar houses.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/maple_syrup_stolen_from_vermont_sugarhouses.html

Anyone familiar with these guys? I've never had something like that happen and don't know how someone could just show up and grab a 500lb drum!

Dave

JuniperHillSugar
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
This may be a lesson to us all. If we spend our time and energy making this fine product we should take care to protect it from others who seek an easier way to make a few dollars. I always lock the sugarhouse during the season because I want to be in control and sole possession of my product and process until I sell it to a paying customer or give it away to a friend. I've heard about remote sugarhouses being victim to vandals, these seem to be the times in which we live. Someone should pour hot syrup on these thieves as a punishment if they are caught.:o

Let's keep our eyes on anyone bragging on the Trader about making 120 gallons of syrup with 10 taps and a turkey cooker.

Bruce L
04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Hope they catch them and thrpw them in the arch!!!!!!!!!!!I never ever leave syrup behind when I leave after boiling,we have had individuals break in at different times in the off season looking for valuables,my biggest worry will be if I purchase one of these new high efficiency rigs and I need to have a generator going,will they damage the rig or steal the generator?

CBOYER
04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
last year around here it was happen many times. this year they catches 2 guys from Sherbrooke that try to take everything in ss in a shack..

Russell Lampron
04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
At least the drums had serial numbers on them. If they try to sell it bulk it will be easier to catch them.

CBOYER
04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
if they said on paper that drum have serial no., the buglars know now (if he can read).
Sometimes is better to keep some info and give it only to possible place to resale to could catch those buglars.

Revi
04-05-2011, 11:26 AM
We had our sugarhouse vandalized 5 times and finally got smart. Now we have a bulletproof box to protect the evaporator, plate steel on the door, lexan on the windows, 2 camera systems and security lights. We haven't been messed with in a while. I consider it to be a good thing, because it got us prepared for what's coming. There are metal thieves around here in droves.

We're having a talk on farm security on Weds. June 8th at 7pm at our sugarhouse. We've talked to Mofga and they may advertise it. Any Maple Traders who want to come are invited as well.

Take I-95 to exit 132, and turn left on route 139. Go 12.2 miles and turn right on the Burrill Hill Road. We're 2.2 miles on the right at the Skowhegan town line.

michiganfarmer2
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
WOW. I never thought such a thing would happen

Thad Blaisdell
04-05-2011, 01:21 PM
I know if I catch someone in my sugarhouse taking stuff they are going in the arch and I am turning on the guns.... 29 gallons of oil per hour.... over 3 million BTU's, there wont be enough to do a DNA test.

Revi
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
We found out who was doing it, but had no proof. The cops told us to leave them alone. That's when we started to harden the target. We have a few more things to do, but I sleep better knowing that if someone tries to steal anything I'll have it on camera the next morning at least. It's been a learning experience. There are a lot of people out there who don't respect small farmers, or see a chance to make a quick buck.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
The paper also said some one in Addison had a bunch of packaged syrup taken ie; gallons, halfs etc.

Judge, Jury and executioner.

Just started watching an awesome movie
LAW ABIDING CITIZEN :evil:
looks like it was made in 09.