PDA

View Full Version : What do you plug the pan with for last boil?

eastcoasttapper
04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
I was reading through some of the threads about the last boil. Some say they plug their pans off with sap on one side and water on the other. Sounds like a good idea for my set up. I plan on finishing up this morning. What do you use to plug it with? My evaporator is a simple pan with two dividers creating three sections. The space under each divider where the sap flows is about 4x4" maybe. I'm a mom with two young kids doing this, so nothing I have to go out and fashion in a machine shop please :lol:

PerryW
04-05-2011, 07:15 AM
My evaporator is a simple pan with two dividers creating three sections. The space under each divider where the sap flows is about 4x4" maybe. :lol:

Sounds like you are using a single flat pan w/ 3 sections, so it's pretty tough to plug anything. I would just build a small fire and slowly reduce the sap level in the front pan as low as you dare (1/2" if you are level), then let things cool down; transfer to a a couple stainless steel pots and finish it on the kitchen stove or a coleman stove. Just be careful, cause it boils over real easy when you get close to syrup.