PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer

Father & Son
01-24-2006, 08:28 AM
There has been some discussion going on about the use of a hydrometer and it has led to double checking with a refractometer. The two ranges I have seen are 0-80 and 45-82 in the hand held model. Which one is the best choice? My wife bought me the 0-80 for Christmas. I had been looking at that one because it can be calibrated with distilled water and that eliminates the need for calibrating fluid. Any thoughts?
Jim

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Sounds like you made out like a Bandit if she paid for it lock,stock and barrel. Is it one of the Pal ones?

Father & Son
01-24-2006, 10:10 AM
No, it's not the electronic type, but it does have the ATC (automatic temperature correction). Can't wait to try it :D
Jim

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-24-2006, 01:36 PM
That's a bummer it's not a Pal.

forester1
01-24-2006, 06:12 PM
I think the main difference is it would be easier to read the 45-82 because the range is less so the graduations on the scale larger. But the 0-80 you could test sap with also.

Father & Son
04-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Here's a question on proper use of a refractometer. After you have placed 2 drops of solution to be measured on the prism and close the daylight plate, do you just let it settle on it's own or do you push down on the daylight plate to spread out liquid :?:

Jim

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Myself i close the plate and press down on it with my finger and run it across the length of the plate to smear the sample on the prism-Seem to get a better reading line this way/rather then just closing the plate. I go a two drop minimun-but usually let 3 drops on the prism before closing the plate.

Father & Son
04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks Kevin,
I thought I was using too much and making a mess by using 3 drops and then pressing down on the plate. That's how I thought I was getting the most consistant reading but wasn't sure.
Jim