PDA

View Full Version : What's with the wind….determining sap output?

GramaCindy
04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Why does the wind play in to factor of sap output? I have a textbook day coming tomorrow, but the wind may ruin the whole darn thing? Why is that????:mad:

CBOYER
04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
winds refresh crown of trees, reduce "pumping" effect on sap.

BryanEx
04-04-2011, 06:56 PM
If you are on buckets like me it's because the wind blows them clear down to the neighbour's mail box. :mad:

Wind can be caused by temperature differences or atmospheric pressure differences. I'm willing to bet if your sap doesn't flow because of wind that the barometer is rising at the same time.

GramaCindy
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
AGHHHHH! Darn wind is ruining my run.:evil:

cvmaple
04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the joys of farming!!! seriously though, I hope you have some better runs soon. Is this a great hobby or what?

PerryW
04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
If there is no wind, on a 40 degree sunny day, the actually bark of the tree will warm up to a temperature warmer than 40 degrees due to solar heating. They can actually be warm to the touch. Once the wind starts up, convection takes this warmth away and the trees cool down to the ambient air temperature.

Also, at night, the wind will keep the air stirred up and you won't get as much radiational cooling.

GramaCindy
04-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I think I may have seen my last run with the weather forecast for the next week:( Will boil final sap tomorrow. Very warm here, 60's night time temps in the mid to high 30's. Not good sap weather. We just started here two weeks ago and it appears to be done.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Don't throw in the towel yet. It got into the upper 60's for several days 3 days into the season down here. I saw many days in 50's 60's and some in the 70's during the 8 weeks I made syrup. I was able to boil the 4th of April which is 2 weeks past normal end of season here. In 8 weeks, I never saw one single deep freeze and the temps only got down to 23 about 3 or 4 times. Craziest weather I have ever seen and more wind nearly every day than I have probably ever seen and still set a record for sap, so don't throw in the towel yet.

GramaCindy
04-09-2011, 06:30 AM
OK WVM….I'll hang in there. I may need to replace my sap sacks after all of that heat tho', could be nastys in them.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Just rinse them out with a little water or some bleach and water and then rinse them good.

GramaCindy
04-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Just rinse them out with a little water or some bleach and water and then rinse them good.

Sounds good. I can only hope the wind due with this thunderstorm tomorrow doesn't rip holes in them as well. Nature is not helping me this year!