PDA

View Full Version : 7* over boil?

supersapper
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
i had always heard that you were to bring sap to 7* over boil. made two batches of almost syrup. i then read on here that you need to bring to 9* over. reboiled the thin stuff and the next batch to 9* over and it turned out perfect! i can't remember who posted that but thanks!!!:D

John c
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
i had always heard that you were to bring sap to 7* over boil. made two batches of almost syrup. i then read on here that you need to bring to 9* over. reboiled the thin stuff and the next batch to 9* over and it turned out perfect! i can't remember who posted that but thanks!!!:D

For my small operation I have found that the 2* difference between 7* and 9* over boiling doesn't change the thickness of the syrup, (not to the naked eye anyway), but it does change the sweetness that one can taste on the naked tongue!
I use a 3* difference depending on who I'm making the syrup for. For instance my father enjoys his syrup less sweet, so I make his at only 6* above, but my sisters and nieces like their syrup to be good n sweet, so I make theirs at 9* above! you can not see any difference it the consistency, but when the two are tasted you sure can tell!
I hope this helps,

John c.

Southtowns27
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
The only way to know for sure that you have syrup of the correct density is with a hydrometer. The thermometer just gets you close, it also changes every day, sometimes even hour by hour. I can almost guarantee that if checked with a hydrometer, your density will be off.

jrgagne99
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Southtowns is right. Hydrometer is the only way. And don't even think about *selling* syrup without using a calibrated hydrometer to ensure the proper density- 32 Baume.

Quabbin Hill Farms
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Using the temperature is a good guidline 66 brix syrup is 7.1 degrees above the boiling point of water, but that changes as atmospheric pressure changes during the day, your elevation above sealevel is also used in that calculation.so it colud be 6.8 to 7.3 depending on the day and where you are located. I usually calibrate my dial thermometer a couple of times a day with water. But my final test is either with my manual or digital refractometers just be sure.
Cheers

John c
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Good info guys! I don't sell any of my syrup so I never really cared much about anything but taste. Does density have anything to do with taste? Can you use a hydrometer to adjust the sweetness?
Thanks.

happy thoughts
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Good info guys! I don't sell any of my syrup so I never really cared much about anything but taste. Does density have anything to do with taste? Can you use a hydrometer to adjust the sweetness?
Thanks.

Density has to do with sweetness, the percentage of sugar in the syrup. Flavor is part sweetness but other things as well. For instance, sap contaminated with mold and bacteria may give off flavors. Light syrup is more delicate in flavor than dark syrup which can have a strong maple taste.

Yes, you can use a hydrometer to adjust sweetness but to be sold as maple syrup it's sugar concentration must be at least 66% (or 1% higher if sold in VT) measured in brix. Less sweet syrup is more prone to mold. Higher concentrations are more likely to crystallize in storage.

wnybassman
04-06-2011, 05:37 AM
After buying a hydrometer last year I realized I have never truly made syrup before. This year the density was correct for me anywhere from upper 216's to mid 218's, just depended on the day I guess. It did seem to want the 218's more often though, and I always took syrup to the low 217's in the past without the hydrometer. So I was never quite there.

damaille
04-06-2011, 06:36 AM
I have 20 taps and boiled down on a propane burner 185,000 btu. I kept boiling down 5 gallons at a time and transfer at 75% to another pot to finish. once the other pot was filled and had adequate amount to finish I put that pot on the burner (took 2 days to boil enough to finish). I then boiled that pot down and got a 217 reading on the thermometer and then kept checking with hydrometer. by the time the hydrometer said it was finished the syrup was totally black and definately had a burnt oder or strong off smell to it.

should all the boiling be done continously at first boil? can you burn the syrup even when the hydrometer says boil some more?

I would appreciate any help.

thanks,
Dave

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-06-2011, 06:45 AM
When Syrup is Syrup it all has the same amount of sugar content in it hence we all buy the same jugs and all are labelled the same (in VT). The only thing that really is different that I know is VT syrup is the Best:D and they have different levels of Maple Flavor. From Fancy with a very light flavor to B which has a lot of Maple flavor. When people talk about "sweetness" its the flavor not actually the amount of sugar.
Here in VT the amount of Sugar is 67%, unless I am wrong. Like a previous poster PA has a scale of 66% if I understood the comment, I didn't realize two states would be different but really 1% is nothing.
If you make a syrup that is (lite) it can ferment and spoil quicker, to (heavy) you will get rock candy in bottom of jug.
Just my 1.5cent, Obama took the other half to pay for socialized medicine program that is coming:mad:

backyard sugaring
Dave,
Where in Hudson are you? I am all done for this year, love to help you next year or this year. I believe you need more surface area like a broiler pan or steam pan. Lee

John c
I have 20 taps and boiled down on a propane burner 185,000 btu. I kept boiling down 5 gallons at a time and transfer at 75% to another pot to finish. once the other pot was filled and had adequate amount to finish I put that pot on the burner (took 2 days to boil enough to finish). I then boiled that pot down and got a 217 reading on the thermometer and then kept checking with hydrometer. by the time the hydrometer said it was finished the syrup was totally black and definately had a burnt oder or strong off smell to it.

should all the boiling be done continously at first boil? can you burn the syrup even when the hydrometer says boil some more?

I would appreciate any help.

thanks,

Dave

That's a good question! I have thought about doing the same thing many times, but I never had the guts to put all my eggs in one basket.
I'm sorry for highjacking this thread, but there is some good, usefull info that I and maybe others need to hear.
Thanks guys,

John c.

happy thoughts
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
The only thing that really is different that I know is VT syrup is the Best:D and they have different levels of Maple Flavor.
Here in VT the amount of Sugar is 67%, unless I am wrong. Like a previous poster PA has a scale of 66% if I understood the comment, I didn't realize two states would be different .....

syrup trivia- To the best of my knowledge, it appears it's VT that differs from everyone else in the US.

The US reg sets minimum density at 66 brix at 68F. Most US maple producing states whose laws I've looked at have adopted this federal standard.

VT stands alone with a slightly higher minimum density (66.9 brix at 60F). VT also sets a maximum density for syrup (68.9 brix) which I haven't seen specified by law anywhere except VT. VT obviously takes maple syrup very seriously.

I guess the slightly higher minimum sugar required of VT syrup helps reinforce the perception that it's the best. I DO have to say I'm pretty partial to PA syrup myself :D

damaille
04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
check your messages, I left my phone number for you to give me a call.

thanks,
Dave

John c
04-06-2011, 08:33 AM
check your messages, I left my phone number for you to give me a call.

thanks,
Dave

If you are referring to me, I havnt any PM from you.

green4310
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I never thought much about it before but you all braught up an interesting point about the so called difference in standards for density. It looks to me like that if you were to correct the VT 66.9Brix @ 60F back to 68F you would end up very close 66Brix. IMHO the VT standard is a bunch of hype to make people think they are getting something.
Few years ago I ordered breakfast in Keene,NH. and they served some imitation syrup crap. I asked for the real stuff and they did not know what I was talking about. Can you believe that, in NH of all places. Any way who cares.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks HappyThooughts for the info,

Green4310: I always ask for real maple syrup when I visit AZ, the looks and puzzled faces you get are funny, "it comes from a tree?"