PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum panic attack

sweetwoodmaple
01-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Ok, Just trying to get my vacuum system set up for 400 taps that includes 3 or 4 sap ladders totaling about 20' rise (not total rise, but rise at each ladder added together). May have to do some tweaking to get this below 18', but that's another story.

Already messed up by not putting enough 6 ways stars, or at least not enough according to the posts by mapleman, maple hill, etc. in the past. So, I'm getting that corrected. At least I got them oriented correctly and a dry line up and over to transfer the vacuum. I believe 1" line is big enough considering I am about 350 ft away from the releaser.

Also trying to build my own releaser, so we'll see how that works out.

One question about anyone who use sap ladders...what do you do at night when you think it is going to freeze, but don't know for sure? I know some put temp switches and the like, but some sap may still run. Do you just let your lines fill up?

I was thinking of putting one of those rubber swing check valves (like the flappers they use in releasers that close when vac is applied) to let off sap into a barrel at the bottom of every ladder just in case. Not sure if this is necessary or not, but don't want my lines clear full either.

Thanks,

Brian

emericksmaple
01-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Brian, I have 2 sap ladders that i use to lift 200 taps 13ft. I have never worried about it freezing because no one up north does. If the sap does run after the vaccum shuts off and the line does freeze, i found out that if your ladder is in the sun it does not take long for it to thaw out. But last year i put in a thermostat to turn my pump on and off and it worked great, so i didn't have to worry about a night time surprise.

sweetwoodmaple
01-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Matt. The problem is I measured my 4 ladders and they total 19' of lift. Can't get around it unless I put my main line and taps up to the moon on the lowest portion.

I can get about 20" on my pump, but not sure this will do it. Hate to find out in a month or so...

Brian

emericksmaple
01-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Brian last year i only could run about 13-14inches at the pump and i had no problems at all. if you wish give me a call tom evening and we can discuss it more in depth.

sweetwoodmaple
01-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Matt - I got a used Cenco Hyvac 14 (5.6 cfm) this year from Ebay. Had to be fully rebuild, but was a deal for $50 since my Aunt could pick it up. Put about $150 in it, but a new one is $1500+. It is two stage with 2-1/2 qt oil reservoir, which is overkill, but since i didn't grind the vanes and bores, it only pulls 18-20". It may pull more after things get worn in. It is a very heavy unit (80 lbs), so I'm hoping it lasts a long time.

I'll try giving you a call.

Brian

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-24-2006, 07:29 AM
post deleted

sweetwoodmaple
01-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks.

Though, I'm going to be $@#*&^ if I bought star tees @$3 each and lots of 5/16 tubing and could have just used my 1" line.

I'm sure I'll be getting some leaks.

Kevin - when you say "at a time", can you do multiple lifts or is that the maximum? I'm using a 1" dry line that is connected before and after the star tees, so that should help transfer the vacuum provided the line doesn't fill up.

I guess the theory is that water by itself can be lifted "x" inches by vacuum, but if you inject air some way, it give the water less density (mixed with air) so it can be pulled up farther?

I have a 5', 4', 4', and 6' lift ladders(listed from my releaser to the end of the line). I could lessen the lifts, but right now I have about 4% slope (1/2" per foot) and would like to keep it that way if possible. If I get in trouble, I can shut off the last 6' lift since it only contains 30 taps or so now (but will contain 75+ in the future).

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. Have you ever heard of anyone using a very small needle valve at the bottom of each ladder local to the star tees to let in a tiny amount of air?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-24-2006, 08:44 AM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-24-2006, 07:09 PM
It's the "big one lamont" as fred sandford would say.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
post edited

sweetwoodmaple
01-25-2006, 06:19 AM
Thanks Kevin and Matt. Sounds like I should be ok, just have to finish putting up 300' in 5/16 tubing for my additional stars this weekend, since I already went that route.

I'll have to dig back to the gravity releaser posts. I'm not sure, in the end, whether that method allowed much vacuum at the trees or not. Think I'll stick with my mechanical/electrical releaser idea?

Matt - thanks for the description on how your mechanical releaser works. I'm using electric switch floats and two solenoid valves to do the same function that the float and valve accomplish in the mechanical releaser. Have to run an extension cord 500', but the solenoids only take an amp or two.

Brian

maple flats
01-25-2006, 06:50 PM
You better try it out to see if you get enough voltage to operate the solenoids at 500'. From what I remember for voltage drop that is a long way at 120V. Will a solenoid operate OK with low voltage?
maple flats