PDA

View Full Version : Had to sell

maple flats
04-04-2011, 04:59 AM
I am in a sap run like I have never had. My first year on vacuum and WOW. We had a moderately slow early season but then a extended freeze of several days. After it thawed I have been drowning in sap, and the sugar is 2.1-2.2% (different woods). I finally decided I had to sell sap because I was loosing ground and my sugar was going down from storage. I hauled 900 gal and sold it.
For sure I need that RO next season. I don't know how much longer this will last but my bush on vacuum has not stopped in a week, pump runs all the time, I love it!!! The forcast leads me to think the buds might open in a week or so, I'm 100% on sugar maples this year.
Dave

PerryW
04-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm curious...Since I have about the same number of taps as you....

How much work & money did it tank to upgrade your tubing to be suitable for vacuum? Much of my tubing is 20-25 years old and it is real spread out. Lots of long 3/4 black plastic and long laterals on steep slope.

On one hand, I would love the additional sap, but I'm afraid I would have to pretty much replace everything before buying a vacuum pump/ releaser. I get tired just thinking of running all new mains up that steep hill. I would also have to put in electrical service and buy RO (or cut lots more wood).

Just for the record, I've had some real good runs on thursday thru saturday too. It ran for 3 days without a freeze! If I had a vacuum system, I would probably be bragging about how good it worked.