PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of our rig

Bruce L
04-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Now that the season has pretty much wound down,thought I might post some pics here (hopefully) of our set-up that many have inquired to me about.It is an old sugarhouse,built in 1892,with an old arch built of field stone into the side of a hill.The set-up is Lightning,3'X10' crimp pan,3'x4' syrup pan,then 2 2' self-syrupers that hinge and tip off when the syrup is ready for a total of 16'. If the pictures post allright,you will see even at the back end where the smoke,heat are whisking into the brick chimney,the foam tends to go right over the top every fresh load of wood.
Bruce

markct
04-03-2011, 08:53 PM
neat looking rig not often you see an old time masonary arch still in use! what do you use for defoamer, seems to not be very effective if your having that many foam problems! i like the powdered defoamer best myself, and a friend with a large oil fired evap uses the powdered defoamer with a defoamer cup hanging in the pan which works well also

Bruce L
04-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I am actually trying to do it organically,I run vegetable oil around the middle pan every so many fires,hit the crimp pan with a drop from a creamer every fire when it has a head on it like a badly poured beer!

3rdgen.maple
04-04-2011, 03:59 AM
You need Atmos defaomer. Kosher approved. If you use it regularly you wll not be getting any foam.