PDA

View Full Version : Never made syrup like this before

BryanEx
04-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I've been producing as a hobby and/or part time business for five years now and I have to say I have never produced syrup this light or this clear since I started. I think it's very cool for a small fry to make this but at the same time... I can't sell it either. The Mason jar in the centre is graded as medium as a reference given all computer monitors display differently and my camera didn't do it justice.

- Bryan

http://www.stonebriarfarm.com/imagehosting/light_syrup.jpg

John c
04-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Nice! How big are your batches?

Kev
04-03-2011, 04:34 PM
mine was much lighter all season also
Congrats!

BryanEx
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice! How big are your batches?

To put it in US terms... about 2 ~ 3 gallons of finished syrup at a time with a sap sugar content running between 3.5 and 4.2 brix all season. It's very satisfying but less than profitable. I'm thinking I'll try a few syrup competitions to see how I stack up to the big and/or old guys if I can figure out where and how to do that.

Sugarmaker
04-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Bryan,
Nice jog on the ultralight syrup. You might do real well in competition. Go for it!
Chris

brookledge
04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Not to knock you down but remember when youput it in thinner containers it looks lighter. so the same batch of syrup in those containers, the mason jar will seem as though it is different. good looking syrup though
Keith

Dennis H.
04-03-2011, 06:33 PM
That is some light syrup.

Down here I was never able to get below Medium the entire season.

What do you mean you can sell?? I have made only 28gals and I have already sold about 1/3 of my syrup, it has been only about 2 weeks since I called it quites for the year. It is a way to offset the costs for this "Hobby"

adk1
04-03-2011, 06:43 PM
folks around here have been making he lightest syrup they have ever made, and many of these are weathered producers. A few of them made syrup lighter than the grading kit!

BryanEx
04-03-2011, 07:06 PM
What do you mean you can't sell??
None of my customers other than one want light or extra light syrup. I need syrup from medium to "used motor oil" in color to move it and so far I haven't produced any this year.

GramaCindy
04-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I've been producing as a hobby and/or part time business for five years now and I have to say I have never produced syrup this light or this clear since I started. I think it's very cool for a small fry to make this but at the same time... I can't sell it either. The Mason jar in the centre is graded as medium as a reference given all computer monitors display differently and my camera didn't do it justice.

- Bryan

http://www.stonebriarfarm.com/imagehosting/light_syrup.jpg
My First Batch turned out very light also. What grade do you think this is by the way? What a fun thing to do and share with friends and family in this UGLY. Gloomy time of year. LOVIN every minute!https://picasaweb.google.com/103968764779354846524/Apr32011?feat=directlink

ennismaple
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
That's some Fancy lookin's syrup Bryan! Maybe you need to let your sap sit a few more days before you boil it so some of the sucrose converts to glucose and you'll get more caramelization?

markct
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
yea weird year here, i stopped boiling when the buds opened but have been giving the sap to a friend since then, about 3000 gallons, and he has been making commercial syrup with it and some of it is the lightest commercial i have ever seen, some actualy grades as light amber by the color

5050racing
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I show honey and the proper fill and same level counts a lot.What is the line to fill it in that type of jar?where you have it to that line??

5050racing
04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
My first year 12 trees,many colors just like the leaves 3246

GramaCindy
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
My first year 12 trees,many colors just like the leaves 3246

and all BEAUTIFUL!

BryanEx
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I show honey and the proper fill and same level counts a lot.What is the line to fill it in that type of jar?where you have it to that line??

The two syrup bottles are 500ml "Kent" bottles and I actually filled them to the centre of the groove at the bottom of the small handle at 185 degrees. They dropped about 1/4" to the level shown in my photo at room temperature. I'm willing to bet at that level it's slightly over the 500ml volume based on other bottles and jugs I've measured.

5050racing
04-04-2011, 08:04 PM
OK ,just wondered.I have some honey jars cuzs I had no maple jars at the start and this is how the Hobie starts???The others are 251ml,so to that ring is correct.I was just filling and not concerned with level at the time.I guess I could reprocess the big honey jars,boil and boil the jars and redo into the smaller jars and fill correct.

BryanEx
04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
5050racing... why not split the difference? Looking at your photos there are a couple of bottles noticeably short and a few others noticeably high. Just pick out those for repackaging to make the levels all look about the same.

5050racing
04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
The honey jars are like 24oz or so too much to give as a gift except Mom,Dad etc. and I have a lot of the small ones now order 10 case's ,also as a gift they should be fine if they don't like it give it back I'll eat it!!! Thanks for the idea.