PDA

View Full Version : Qt's per gal?

Bill'sSugarShack
04-03-2011, 03:55 AM
I put most of my syrup up in quarts jars..but since i'm running low on jars, I've begun dumping my quarts into gallon jugs. Have found tho, that it takes 4 1/2 quarts from jars to fill a gallon jug???????????????

I've measuered how much is in quarts with measuring cup..so know they are true quarts...maybe i fill gallons to full?????????

Dennis H.
04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
There has been a thread on this before.

It seems that Syrup jugs are made on the big side.

I found that mason quart jars are a quart when they are all but to the top. I found that Sugarhill quarts are full when they are just at or below the necked down part of the jug. I fill my sugarhill jugs just above the necked down part. I know I am giving away a little syrup but I look at it from my side if I was buying, I would think I was getting cheated.

The Gal jugs are the worse. It looks like it is only half full when there is a gal of syrup in there.

brookledge
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
you have to remember that when hot packing the syrup is expanded and as it cools it contracts some. I know when I fill kegs I fill them right up to the neck but when I open them the syrup is lower. not saying that I haven't felt the same way but I'm with Dennis give them a full jug and they wont' feel cheated
Keith

KenWP
04-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Never knew before but a US liquid once is bigger then a Canadain ounce.A big bar company could not figure out why they were not getting enough shots per bottle.They had to have special made jiggers made as the US ones were to big.
I learnt the hard way not to over fill the big plastic jugs.When I set them down to put the lid on the syrup poured over the top on me due to the bottom giving a bit to the hot syrup.