PDA

View Full Version : How to can my syrup?

Troutman10
04-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm new to making syrup. How to I correctly can syrup? Are the tops supposed to "clink" down when fully sealed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John c
04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Clean jars good and dry, use new lids, heat syrup to 190-195, pour syrup into jars an inch from the top, seal tightly and turn jars upside down right away and let cool.

wnybassman
04-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Clean jars good and dry, use new lids, heat syrup to 190-195, pour syrup into jars an inch from the top, seal tightly and turn jars upside down right away and let cool.

I do the same but heat to 185 and fill to within a 1/4 inch of the top. I want as little air in the jar as possible. Not really like other canning where headspace is needed for vegetable/fruit expansion.

Troutman10
04-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys. Worked great. Just made my first quart.

highlandcattle
04-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Sterilze the jars with boiling water if you're using older used ones, new ones are already clean hopefully. After filling(after the syrup cools, it will shrink a bit) tip the jars over so the hot syrup touches the top of the bottle or can or lie them on the side. Never let one touch another, leave space so they cool. Hope this helps. Store in cool, dark area if possible.

John c
04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys. Worked great. Just made my first quart.

Awesome, keep up the good work! It feels pretty good huh? The reason we are saying to keep the reheat to 185-195 (after filtering) is because much more than that and you will begin to create niter, which will cloud the appearance of what could be a beautiful thing and for a good sterile seal!

John c.