PDA

View Full Version : syrup color change

fenwick865
04-02-2011, 11:57 AM
A few weeks ago my syrup was a nice dark amber. Now it's back to a light amber. I thought as the season goes on, the darker the syrup. Any one else experiencing this or is this common?

John c
04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Are you boiling in smaller increments or boiling off faster, did you change your depth?
I have a very small operation, but I've found if I boil off 25 gallons of sap and get a half gallon of syrup back it is a much lighter color than if I boil off 50 gallons of sap and get 1 gallon of syrup back! HOWEVER I have also found that smaller batches are sweeter, but larger batches have more of a maple flavor.
Again, any and all of my experience is based on a very small, but very monitored scale!
I hope this helps someone out there,

John c.

woodburner
04-03-2011, 10:35 AM
The change in grade or color is common, most are due to a chnge in air temp. colder, lighter. Speed of processing, getting it from tree to syrup, faster, lighter. How clean the system is, tubing, buckets, holding tanks, evaporator, cleaner, lighter. Then sometimes nature just wants to screw with your mind, like this years first and second run, amber then runs3456 light. Last run same color as first, but much different taste.

Ahnohta2
04-03-2011, 11:12 AM
We have had this happen several times over the years. Normally as season goes on it gets darker but not always. Nature plays a big part in it from what we have experienced.

Mike in NY
04-03-2011, 11:40 AM
we pulled the pre heater 2 days ago and ran an acid rince through everything and scrubbed it up nice and shiny. We improved to medium amber. The sugar sand we had no issue with early on is back with a vengance.